London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
16 messages
Edd
15/02/2014 at 15:34

I have been sieving my vermicompost for the last few days and now is the time to test it. It looks fantastic if i do say so myself.

Im hoping to find out what’s in their dirt — how much nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, calcium, magnesium, aluminum, lead and possibly other trace elements— and how acidic it is. 

I need a reliable chemical tester (not a probe type) I have seen on here that a few people tried out testers a few years ago but there have been no results listed.

Can anyone recommend a good test kit, it does not have to go into as much detail as requested above but it would be great if i can get a reliable tester.  Any help please? 

Kind regards

Edd

15/02/2014 at 16:00
Edd, I used a soil test kit last year , the test tube type. It was very unreliable. Hope you find something that works well.
Edd
15/02/2014 at 16:10

Thanks Mrs Garden.

Yes, it will be the test tube type that i am looking at, can you name the brand you tried?

Edd
15/02/2014 at 16:39

Thanks Brumbull.

The soil analysis service they provide is very expensive and i will be looking at many samples this year.

RHS members: £25 per sample; non-members £30 per sample. 

15/02/2014 at 16:43

I've not used this, but it appears to be very reasonable http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Large_Soil_Testing_Kit.html 

Edd
15/02/2014 at 17:54

Lots and lots of different kits and soil analysis services, Dove but not many (if any) reviews of them. I do like the look of the Mini professional soil testing kit that is at the bottom of your link but they are out of stock. I was hoping that someone had tried and tested one.

Kind regards

Edd

17/02/2014 at 19:14
Edd wrote (see)

Thanks Mrs Garden.

Yes, it will be the test tube type that i am looking at, can you name the brand you tried?

Sorry Edd, only just seen this. It was a B&Q test kit.

Edd
26/03/2014 at 09:28

Hi MrsGarden.

I have just read your other post on Mike Allen pH thread and thought i would answer here so as not to hog his thread.

Dove gave a link in the post above and i am looking at the 'mini professional soil testing kit' for £16.55 I think it is by Westminster but not 100% sure. They are out of stock at the moment so will try and find it elsewhere. The professional one is very expensive and Edd does not like to part with what little money he has.

I need the kit to check what is in my worm compost as i plan to sell it. Its not so much for the garden soil but i do agree totally with what you say. I will need to know what is in my worm compost so i can put it on the label. 

Kind regards.

Edd

26/03/2014 at 09:34
Thanks edd. 16.99 still expensive isn't it but for your specific needs will be a good buy. Check the returns policy in case you're not happy. Is there somewhere you could take a sample for testing? I used to take aquarium water to get tested just wonder if there's something similar you can do and trust. Best wishes.
Edd
26/03/2014 at 09:39

RHS members: £25 per sample; non-members £30 per sample. 

26/03/2014 at 10:36

Edd, just a thought but do you have a technical college or university near you? You could approach the science dept. and ask if they would analyse it for you?

Edd
26/03/2014 at 10:40

artjak That is brilliant it had never crossed my mind .

Regards

Edd.

26/03/2014 at 16:40

Hi Edd, I just googled PH test reviews and the one that stood out was Luster Leaf 1612. It's American so most reviews were on Amazon US but they were consistently good, this one impressed me,

"I'm re-ordering this pH testing kit,because I've used up the pH tests of the first kit I bought. It's excellent. Contrary to what one other reviewer has said, it's extremely accurate. I had my pH tests repeated by the local Agway farm store manager and also by the County (Agricultural) Cooperative Extension agent. Both of their pH tests were exactly the same as those I got using the Luster Leaf pH tests.

Instructions are very clear and simple. The test itself takes only about 3 to 5 minutes to do. (Though if you go on to test N, P, and K with Luster Leaf's test kit for those elements, those tests will take a few hours - hands on time for those other tests is still only a few minutes though)."

I did find it on Amazon UK, £6.43 for ten.

Edd
26/03/2014 at 20:24

Ashleigh 2.

Thank you so much for your indepth report. I promise i will look into it, especially at that price!!! 

I need in depth analysis and just a bit more than a pH test, thanks. I will look into this and let you know.

Artjak came up with a solution that blew me away. I would have never thought of it and it is so cool if it works.

Give a bit of time and i will let you know. 

Sorry, did you know i do not pay for anything if i can help it!!!!!!

26/03/2014 at 20:31

Brought a soil test kit from base base in desperation(couldn't find one anywhere)

Soil/rainwater type and was quite effective giving 4 soil ph tests for £8

26/03/2014 at 21:30

Edd, we should have a thread about cheap and preferably free gardening solutions. I spent some time today researching plants I would have in and around the pond I haven't got and it came to £130! This forum's great but every time some one mentions a plant they love I look it up and love it too. The wish list is getting very long.

email image
16 messages