London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
3 messages
05/10/2013 at 13:37

If anyone else out there has a banana plant in the garden, can we swap stories on how you protect it over winter? 

My plant has six or seven stems, and right now is about 6 foot high.  In past years I've cut it back to about 3 foot, stuffed straw into the centre and around the outside, held that in place with a wrap of chicken wire, and then covered the whole lot with a big sack (one of those ton bags you get from builders full of gravel) to keep the rain off.  The plant always survives, but the stems themselves almost always rot away to about a foot tall, and it does take them ages to come back again.  The straw in the middle gets very damp and soggy, and I'm not sure it is doing much good by the end of the cold season.

I'm in south Wales, on clay soil, but a protected spot.

Does anyone else have a better / different way of doing it? 

Interested in any suggestions!

Rosie

05/10/2013 at 22:07

Hi it would help if i knew what species of banana it is as the bajoo will normally survive chopped low to the ground and covered with a good thick layer of mulch placed on top.Is the plant able to be stored in a green house? iI store all of mine in the greenhouse and dont cut them back and the sprout ok in the spring time.

05/10/2013 at 23:05

The section titled "Artistry with Straw" in the website travelswith.zen-aida.com shows how the Japanese traditionally deal with plants in the winter. Very beautiful, as all things Japanese are, but very hard work.

Have you ever tried not cutting it down at all but leaving it, shorn of leaves, at full height? I once saw one like this wrapped up in straw, chicken wire and hessian. It worked in an outer London garden.

email image
3 messages