Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Re otting an Acer

I have inherited an Acer from my late Mum's garden.  It hasn't been watered for an age and is very pot bound .  Everything I've read on line says I should re pot later in the year.  Could I do it now ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hmm, I've been mulling this  over - initially I thought I would repot now, but since then I've thought that doing this might  stimulate new growth which would then be damaged by the winter.  

On reflection I think I'd do it in the early spring (Feb-March) before it starts into growth.

But I'm not an acer expert - some posters on here know far more about them than I do - hopefully someone will be along soon.

In the meantime there's lots of info here http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/page.cfm?page_ref=how_to_care_for_acers 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you very much for this.  I'll have a look at that now.

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

There is plenty of time before winter so go ahead and do it now. I am a firm believer in doing things when I think of them rather than by the calendar. It will be fine. Take it out of its pot, tease some of the roots out and try and remove some of the old compost. Put it into a bigger pot with fresh compost. Water well for the next few months if the weather is dry. A good watering twice per week is better than a dribble a day.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

We have acers in different sizes and colours and in pots and in the ground. If it needs a larger pot, we just do it, whatever time of year, making sure to use the right compost and water in well, then we leave it alone and water if it needs it. We haven't had any die on us