Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Recycling Bin

Can anyone tell me, are there any plants or shrubs or flowers, that cannot go into the recycling bin. Any information  would be appreciated, thank you

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Depends what you mean by recycling. With our council it is household rubbish that can be recycled - plastic bottles, newspapers, tins, clean plastic food containers, cardboard, etc. Bottles have to go in the bottle bank. Then there is the waste food bin for, er, waste food. Then there is garden refuse collection for which you pay extra which, I think operates for 10 months of the year. Then there is landfill rubbish.

Phew!

I do know that Japanese Knotweed and Ragwort are not acceptable in any bin or at any Civic Amenity sites, aka The Tip. If you can get it to The Tip they take trees, branches, leaves, grass cuttings, etc. in my County. Look on your Council website, they all vary.
  • No its more to do with the green recycling bin that you put grass cuttings etc in that I was referring to

OK. Some Councils charge to take away green waste. Look on your Council's website or ring them and they will tell you everything you need to know.
  • Sorry I haven't explained myself properly, I mean is there anything detrimental that might hinder the production of home composting , in the recycling bin that I bought

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

do you mean a home composting bin .for you to make compostimage

• Yes that's correct , I should have said that from the outset , sorry

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

Don't put any cooked food waste in there, fruit or meat

ypu can put in potato peelings and veg peelings, tea bags, used coffee grounds, toilet/kitchen roll inner tubes, shredded paper, newspaper, non shiny cardboard torn up finely, grass clippings, hedge clippings, all sorts 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Don't put in Perennial weeds with their seeds/roots, unless you have drowned them in a bucket of water for 2 weeks (this is v. smelly!image) Evergreens like Leylandii will take years to break down, so is not worth it.

RunnerB, you need roughly a 50/50 mix of greens (old bedding plants, old cabbage leaves, carrots from the back of the fridge that have gone furry etc ) and browns (scrunched up sheets of paper, torn up cardboard). Move them around a bit every 2 weeks either with a compost stirrer (buy on line) or a garden fork to get air in there.

If you have any more queries or problems with it, we will be happy to helpimage

Sorry runnerbean I misunderstood, I thought you meant your Recycling Bin, not your compost bin. My mistake.
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

and  make sure it stands on soil . too let the worms etc in .image