Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Redcurrants grown as cordons

pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I first saw this form of cultivation at RHS Rosemoor, and was impressed with the results.  Having moved to a much smaller garden than I previously had, I am keen to have some soft fruit, but with little space, the cordon idea seems the way to go.

Has anyone done it?  Are there any pitfalls?  And could you do it with blackcurrants as well?

• I have 3 redcurrant cordons and they fruit very well. I bought them already trained but they do need to be pruned the right way to keep them under control.

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Many thanks for links and advice - I'll follow that through.  I know about the difference in pruning red/blackcurrants, In the past, I have stood in the fruit garden, book propped up, checking that I'm doing it right!  I'll double check for cordon fruit, but it really does look viable, for redcurrants at least.  (And what would Christmas be without Cumberland sauce with the ham, and preferably with home-made redcurrant jelly, rather than the sickly bought products?) 

I spoke with the neighbour whose fence it is against which I would train the fruit bushes, and she was enthusiastic.  Better to check in advance than have subsequent problems, methinks.