Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Removing tree stumps and roots

macfallmacfall Posts: 34

I recently cut a shrub down, because it had grown too big for the space, and next doors clematis was wrapping itself round it.

How do you get rid of the stumps and roots?  

I  hope to plant a butterfly bush in the spring, I will be able to hard prune this every spring.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I use  a spade and fork, and a crow-bar or piece of iron bar or scaffold pole as a lever if needed. - better than the gym image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

or if it's too big for you get the stump grinder firm in

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

With one root, I knelt on the ground (with knee pads on) for about 4 hours and attacked it with an axe. It worked. Dove, I agree; it keeps us healthy!image

• Wouldn't be without my mattock for such jobs.....a good investment! image

• macfallmacfall Posts: 34

Does anyone recommend an alternative to the above recommendations.

Or is it not recommended to use a chemical liquid?image

You can drill holes and inject a stump killer but the stump will still be there

• I've just watched someone remove a stump with a combination of a fork, a crowbar and brute strength. Looked like very hard work!

It is hard work

• We also have a stump......and a stump it will remain!! It was hard enough cutting down, chopping up and disposing of a 25foot conifer no way am I going to spend anymore time and energy attacking the stump.

I wish you luck with whichever method you decide on.

• higgy50higgy50 Posts: 184

I have to chip in and say do you actually need to remove them?

If you can leave them they will gradually rot down and make a lovely home to lots of wildlife including the vulnerable but very impressive Stag Beetle whose larva lives in rotting wood underground?

Please don't use chemicals unless you really have to and try to think of an environmentally friendly solution instead if you possibly can?

May be you could make a feature out of them for a bird bath or feeder or maybe grow some scrambling plant up/through them like a Clematis or similar?

If you absolutely have to get them out I also vote for the mattock and a bit of sweat and tears!

When you get them out you could still help your garden wildlife by starting stumpery or a log pile for wildlife in the corner of your garden maybe?...image

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/