Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

repotting fig

I want to re-pot my ficus benjamina as it's looking poorly. It hasn't been done in several years and I want to give it ever chance of recover. Would normal house plant compost do for it? It's a large specimen, must be over 25 years old, 4ft tall. Your help would be appreciated.

• Many thanks I'll get up the GC tomorrow before it dies on me!

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

repot in a mixture of John Innes and multipurpose compost,

give it a soak before hand then knock as much of the old compost off as you dare (breaking some small roots wont do any harm) and repot into the pot size larger making sure to firm the soil/compost in well around it, then give it another soak.

it'll prob sulk for a few weeks but it'll be fine after that, I tend to repot houseplants every other year.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hey folks - Digging Doris is talking about a Ficus Benjamina - a houseplant

NOT Ficus carica aka the common or edible fig. 

You're all (except Treehugger image)  getting carried away by the idea of summer sun and warm figs for breakfast image image

DDoris - lots of info about repotting and care of your houseplant here http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/ficus/ficus-tree-care.htm

Hope that helps image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Many thanks to you all. I'll be potting it today.