London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
10/02/2014 at 22:31

Hi Friends.  This coming weekend sees the start of the RHS London Show season.  21/22 February.  Just a thought.  I hope to attend possibly both days.  I would very much like to meet and say hello to members.  So if you manage to make it.  Please approach me and let's chat.  I still look the same as my avitar.

10/02/2014 at 22:54

I hope you have a boat, Mike, its going to be pretty wet in your direction.

14/02/2014 at 18:38

I shall be attending on the Saturday and wearing my red three piece corderoy suit. I am aware from your avatar of your striking resemblance to the Captain of RMS Titanic so I will probably be able to recognise you.

Hope to see you then .

P

14/02/2014 at 18:51

Oooh, a London Meet - we shall expect a full report and photographs 

14/02/2014 at 18:55

Sorry, it's the Friday I am attending

P

14/02/2014 at 22:23

Actually no-one had noticed.  My original post had indicated this week end.  Anyway, of course its Fri,21.   I will do my best to be there both days around midday.

Dove.  Too many novels read.  I always thought the rendezvous was.  Under the clock at Waterloo Station.

In all seriousness though.  It would be nice to meet up wih forum members.

15/02/2014 at 07:59

Mike, you must wear a buttonhole and carry a copy of The Times so that Punica can recognise you properly 

And of course, many novels read, but one can never read too many 

15/02/2014 at 23:10

Dove. A joker after my own heart.  Nevertheles, it would be great to meet another forum member.

21/02/2014 at 21:15

Well today I was at the show.  A chap did come upto me and ask if I was Mike  so and so.  As the surname didn't apply.  I said.  Sorry. No.

I am now womdering if this chap was Punica?

My apologies if this was the case.  Perhaps a future meet?

21/02/2014 at 21:31

Did you have a good day Mike?

21/02/2014 at 22:19

4thPanda.

Yes,mthank you.  It was pretty hard going.  So much walking etc. I did enjoy it though.  I am going to post a brief.............if you can believe that from me, update on today's joys.

21/02/2014 at 22:20

Well today was the day.  The first of a two day plant show at the RHS Halls in Westminster.  In the past.  The society has set aside Tuesday and Wednesdays for these London displays.  This year has witnessed a change.  This year it is Friday and Saturday.

I arrived close to midday.  Wowee!.  Folks were queuing to get in.  Ah! made it.  Now just a single checkpoint and ticket issue desk.  The familiar scene.  Fingers fumbling away at purses and wallets in search of membership cards.  Found it. The member of staff then turns to the next in line.  Membership card Madam.  Oh'  I'm with my friend.  I'm not a member.  Then the poor young lady behind the desk has to run through the rules and conditions.  Glancing rearwards.  There must have been aroud seventy others behind me, all waiting patiently.  Well at least we hope so.  Then past the check-point and I was in.  Then having climed the few stairs.. There it was.  The exhibition hall.  Glimpses of many colours etc, but the mass of swarming bodies.  Honestly.  I have been attending the RHS London Shows for the past fifty-four years.  Honestly, hand on heart etc.  Mike has never seen so many people inside the hall.  I know in retrospect that the Chelsea show can get very crowded.  At Chelsea, at least one can toddle off along another route.  However here in the hall.  It reminded me of driving on the M25.  In an emergency.  There was no escape route.  At one time.  Visitors most often entered the hall, took a grandstand view from the stairs, and the proceeded to turn left and follow in an orderly manner around the displays.  Please don't misunderstand me.  It was in one respect such a marvellous site.  All these lovely people, all sharing along with me, a great love and passion for plants.  Sadly though. It really did appear and prove to be a matter of each one for him/herself.  No I am not saying that there was actual pushing and shoving, but there was far too much added momentum shall we say.  To be able to take photographs.  I recall times when, one could comfortably compose a shot, and end up with a really good picture.   Today.  No way.  Most of my camera shots.  I had to set my Olympus DSLR to auto, hold the camera way above my head etc and click.  I did on several occassions step back and beckon to others to cross my path.  Thankfully this did bring forth some very pleasant smiles and thank you's.  Then a few who were taking photos would smile and whisper.  'Sorry' as they realised perhaps they had become part of the picture.

Nevertheless.  It was a very colourful show.  For me, sadly.  So many of the old faces amongst the exhibitors were no longer there.

In due respect.  I do think that the society might need to examine this particular London Show.   I wouldn't mind being on a committee to discuss the matter.   From a H&S aspect.  I do honestly think that perhaps some future measurs should be taken to avoid mishaps, and to help increase the joys and benefits of those visiting.

I will gladly share my photos on photobucket.  Link to be announced.

Happy gardening.

Mike.

22/02/2014 at 00:33

Hiya Mike, yes would like to see photos.

Nice commemtary on your day there. Almost imagine being there. 

22/02/2014 at 00:45

Glad you had a good day Mike  As Verd said, good commentary. I can imagine what it was like, I have been to many events where you walk at the fixed pace dictated by the crowd!  Can't wait for pics 

22/02/2014 at 09:20

Thank you Mike for sharing that - as others have said, almost feels like being there - looking forward to seeing some pics. 

22/02/2014 at 10:19

Thanks Mike - i had always intended to make time to visit one of the RHS London shows, but doesn't sound too much fun.  Do you think the extra people came from the moving of the day away from mid week - or is gardening experiencing a popularity boom?

22/02/2014 at 20:23

Hi Mike.Don't know if you saw my message last night before a certain person's threads were all deleted.It was just to thank you for the advice about my fuchsias in the wooden greenhouse.I will do my best to improve the ventilation.It has 2 windows which I can open during the day.Mine are a lot smaller than yours.some are hanging baskets from summer.I deleafed them and they are ok.it's smaller ones which are suffering.Maining cuttings.Will have to have a rethink this year.Thanks again.

22/02/2014 at 21:01

Actually, I paid a second visit today.   Arriving around lunchtime.  Whata difference a day makes.  Compared to yesterday's crowds, the place was very much lighter. I'd made the journey again, as I wanted to purchase some lily bulbs.  I enjoyed a pleasant chat etc with the exhibitor. H.W.Hyde, of Hyde and Son.  I left the hall with some thirtysix fresh bulbs, and a very generous discount in my pocket.

Thinking about my photos on photobucket.  I will include pios of our tiny garden, taken over the past couple of years.  This will allow you all to meet our friendly foxes.  I will include also various pics I have taken of the Garden of the Rose.  Regents Park London.  Wisley Gardens and Wakehurst Place.  I hope you will enjoy them.  Please allow me a couple of days.

Thank you all so much for your very kind comments.  This oldie really does appreciate such friendliness.

22/02/2014 at 22:19

Only cos you are clearly a friendly fellow mike.  Think we are taking to you a little 

23/02/2014 at 08:13

We're getting to know you and your gardening Mike 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1t-PhkFAQ  this seems appropriate 

1 to 20 of 24 messages