Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Rose propagation help

Hi everyone, I'm growing roses from cuttings for the first time. I've followed a method online using 2 litre pop bottles as mini greenhouses. The original site I followed recommended cutting off the top of the bottle so it is fully enclosed but now I've done it every other site I've checked says cut the bottle off so you can let air in. Has anyone got advice on what I should do? I could cut holes in the bottle, take it off for a whole daily or even do away with it all together and let them just have fresh air? Any advice is much appreciated! J

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Hi Jon, you'll get someone who knows way more thN ME IN A MIN, I THINK IT DEPNDES IF THEY'RE SOFT OR HARDWOOD CUTTINGS, I'VE TAKEN BOTH, THE SOFTWOOD ONES I COVERED FOR A FEW DAYS THEN OH SOrry didn't realise i was shouting (!) took off plythene bags, the hardwood ones i haven' tcovered at all, have no idea how any of them will do! I never seem to do weel with cuttings though this year have managed quite a few lavender ones successfully

• I put rose cuttings in a slit trench in gritty soil and leave them outside for 12 to 18 months. No protection, just make sure they don't dry out in the summer image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Dove do they stay green or look dead? I've always pulled mine up after a few weeks (d'oh!!) previously as thought they'd failed, had no idea before a couple of weeks ago when i read on this site i had to leave so long!

• Sometimes they look dead as doornails, but then in the spring they grow leaves. Hardwood cuttings take quite a while to strike image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Oh I am sooo excited I may have 7 baby Gertrudes!!

pansyface i did put them in water before i planted but not my mouth..!!! the rose would really have to love chocolate if i did that!!

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Priceless Pansyimage  I'll have to try that.