Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

rosehip

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

my little girl picked up a rosehip yesterday, we walk past a house with this rose bush, it was flowering all through winter, it looks like complicata/ superfairy/rosa canina ( sorry can't be specific!) I think this is whererthe hip came from, it was near there... how can we best try to sow the seeds? she would be soexcited to get a rose she's grown herself

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Sprinkle on the surface of a pot of gritty compost or soil and MPC mix.

Cover with a layer of fine grit. Leave outside or in a cold frame. You may be lucky to get them to germinate this year, but they may need cold stratification and germinate next spring.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

Be prepared for your new roses to be like nothing you have ever seen before. I picked a black rosehip from a plant in a supermarket carpark and research suggests it should be a reasonably sized pimpinellifolia. The plant is huge......but the flowers are the sweetest scent I have ever come across.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I thank yo all, haven' t room for it anyway, just want the fun of growing it with my daughter, I'll let you know, actually the rugosa seeds I sowed last autumn look like they've germinated ( although I' m extremely naughty and never remember to label anything, just from where I' d left the pit I' presuming!!) 

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

Rugosa seeds germinated for me. I potted them up and put them in a cold frame over winter. Now I have five bushes, flowering for their second year. Lovely!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The best rose germination I ever had was after making rosehip wine. Boiling water poured on the hips, soaked for several days, strained off and the remains thrown on the garden. A rose forest developed.

Some Rosa rugosa sown in autumn germinated almost immediately and flowered within 12 months.

Rosa rubrifolia in a pot did nothing but the garden has plenty of selfsets 

In the sticks near Peterborough