London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
8 messages
23/01/2014 at 21:35
Is it possible to grow a Rosemary hedge, I would like l in my front garden. My father has a massive overgrown Rosemary which is about 6' would I be able to take cuttings and when is the best time.
23/01/2014 at 22:46

Hi Eve, I don't see why not unless your soil gets waterlogged as rosemary won't like that at all.  Take cuttings in summer when your father's bush is growing lots of new healthy shoots.  Here's how to root them:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/herbs/how-to-take-rosemary-cuttings/283.html

24/01/2014 at 17:03

What a fragrant idea

24/01/2014 at 23:26
Oh so I won't b able to start till later in the year, I would like a hedge started before. I have been in my house over a year, it has taken nearly that long to sort it, as don't think last Ppl liked gardening at all.
24/01/2014 at 23:57

Yes it would work

Another option is artemisia absinthium......think that's correct.....commonly known as lads love, boys love. Etc.  it's an aromatic erect semi evergreen shrub.  Lovely old fashioned thing.  Popular down here 

25/01/2014 at 11:09

Artemisia only grows max, 3' and is poisonous, though very fragrant and pretty. Also it is recommended that it is cut back hard once a year, which would make your hedge very small.

25/01/2014 at 11:16

Eve- in another month or two the GCs ,nurseries and DIY stores will be full of  3" pots of rosemary for very little money. They grow on quite quickly if you get them into a properly prepared area. Bob's right about the good drainage so as long as you can give them a sunny site with plenty of that they'll do well. I also got some 6" pots last year in a B&M store - 3 for a fiver- so if you have one of them nearby it's worth a look. 

25/01/2014 at 11:16

Eve

I have one and it is great as only comment I would make it to watch out because they can become leggy if you don't keep them prunned

email image
8 messages