Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sad plant!

Does any body have any thoughts on whether it's possible to revive this rather leggy specimen in a container. Thanks

• B3B3 Posts: 27,481

If it's a euphorbia, there will be young shoots at the base now or later, at which time you can cut off the leggy bits. If it's not, some of the experts will tell you what to do.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I think it's a euphorbia, Just don't know which one, will check for new growth. Thanks.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

I'd do the same as Tetley.

• It looks a bit like an erysimum to me, like 'Bowles Mauve'. And I can see some shoots low down in the stems. Whatever it is, if you cut it back to these it'll be fine. If it's at all tender, wait until spring, otherwise do it now. If you don't have ground to put it in, give it a bigger pot.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I'd cut it hard back in the spring and repot in fresh compost in a bigger pot or in the ground and wait and see what you get - do let us know image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I'm going to put it in ground, some new leaf growth at bottom but think I'll wait til spring to cut back  and see and hopefully it'll look like the pictures i've just googled!

Thanks so much

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Looks like a Euphorbia to me too. They can take a fair bit of hacking image

I'd leave it till spring though and it'll really get going then. Doing it now and you'll risk it dying of shock image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Janet 4Janet 4 Posts: 63

I think Greenjude might be correct. It is known as the everlasting wallflower. I bought one, and by the time I'd left Devon it was growing all around a miniature cherry tree. They do get leggy, so I used to cut back the flower heads down to the stalks, and the flowers just kept coming. Really is everlasting flowers all year.

If it is euphorbia, and you put it in the ground, be careful, as some can spread quite prolifically. 

• B3B3 Posts: 27,481

I don't know about the wallflower but euphorbia will have a milky sap. You could cut one shoot and have a look. Wear gloves and don't touch your eyes as the sap is an irritant

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • I've just enlarged the pic - should've done that in the first place - and it's definitely a wallflower. It could be the bedding type which is usually grown as a biennial thought it's actually a short-lived perennial. I've kept them growing for 3 years and they can grow into an amazing bush before they just peter out.

If it flowers only in spring, it's a bedder. If it flowers all summer, it's Erysimum. They don't live that long either, I think because they flower themselves to death. My Bowles Mauve has flowered non-stop, including winter, for four years now. I keep thinking it's finished, give it a trim and back it comes.

I've also found that there are buds left on leggy flowery stalks that do well in a bottle of water tucked among other plants. I often use cut flowers in the garden. Then you can have sun-loving flowers in shady places.