London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
08/10/2013 at 15:37

I have had this for about four years now.  It is in a large pot and a sunny position as was suggested when I bought it.  It looks fairly healthy and is about 2' tall.  However, apart from the first year I have had very few flowers and those are all white.  Any suggestions?

08/10/2013 at 16:12

I have had mine for about three years, but mine is in the ground. It has got quite big and I have been lucky to have had flowers. Do you think it has possibly outgrown the pot or have you watered it enough especially as we have had such a good summer.

08/10/2013 at 16:47

My favourite plant (well one of them). mine has given a show of flowers from spring and is still flowering, although never a 'profusion, more a frothy display. I gather it up and tie loosely at the bottom which holds a better shape. Also have you tried cutting it back in stages, like the Chelsea Chop, but several throughout the spring and summer to help it keep producing more flowers.

08/10/2013 at 18:39

If it's in a pot it will need regular feeding.  Try giving it liquid tomaos feed once a week next year.  i had one in fertile soil in aborder and it grew to 4' in one season and was covered in flowers.  Not hardy enough for my garden though and did not survive winter so watch out for very cold weather being forecast and put some fleece on yours if needs be.

08/10/2013 at 18:46

I have a Salvia Hot Lips and mine is in the ground, I've had it for 3 years. I bought it at the Eden Project in Cornwall. I cut it back every Spring then just leave it to do its job. It is still flowering now. If I were you, I would get it out of the pot and plant it in the ground then just sit back and enjoy.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32258.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

08/10/2013 at 18:47

Mine is 4 to 5 feet tall from  a hard spring cut......back right to the ground.

Pretty hardy shrub. Mine had red flowers in spring.   Now it has all white flowers.  In summer it had red and white flowers, hence hot lips.

08/10/2013 at 23:12

So, should I chop mine down now or in the spring? Bought it off the market and I'm sure she said Autumn.

09/10/2013 at 06:55

I have tried both Autumn and spring pruning and found that a good tidy up in the Autum to prevent damage from wind etc, and then a really good haircut in spring seems to work for mine.

I then give it a good haircut after the first flush of flowers have gone over and within 2-4 wks it is back flowering fully with red and white. It looks a little cruel like other things ie geraium, but it comes back strong, less floppy and as I say loads of full colour flowering, but mine also is in the ground but I do feed it well with comfrey feed, which is high in potash, but a foliage feed in the spring.

09/10/2013 at 07:53

4thPanda

Dont think it really matters unless you get very cold winters,when you prune.  However agree with Margaret ....reduce height somewhat in autumn and then hard in spring. It is a microphylla type, I think, which is pretty tough.

I have been growing this,plant for few years now...prob got it,when it wasn't well known.  Cuttings taken now,will still "take". 

09/10/2013 at 08:04

Thanks Margaret & Verd 

11/10/2013 at 08:35

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I can't put it in the garden as we only have a patio but it is in a very big pot and there are no signs of roots growing through the bottom.  I think a trim now and then in about late March followed by tomato fertiliser may help.

18/05/2014 at 23:23

the leaves of my hot lips have blacky, brownish and are sticky.  Can anyone give me any help as to what i should do.

01/06/2014 at 15:21

I've just bought this plant.  I was going to grow it in a pot but it sounds as if it needs to go in the ground.  If it's anything like other shrubs of this type it will need regular pruning to stop it taking over.  I shall take some cuttings and try them in different situations and see where it likes to grow best.  

01/06/2014 at 15:48

Jillity,

Its an easy, tough shrub.  Sunshine is best and free draining soil.

Cuttings are easy....taken now or during the summer...will root quickly and provide flowering plants for next year.    Cut back in spring.....I do it in autumn here.  

Its an odd plant.....it produces white flowers, then red then red and white according to the season.  

01/06/2014 at 21:03
Mine are very much better now I've moved them from pots into good garden soil. I love them! Cuttings placed in water two weeks ago are now developing little roots....
01/06/2014 at 21:19

Mine flowered red first this year and is just starting to get hot lip flowers. I quite like how it does that although I don't remember it doing that when I first got it.

09/06/2014 at 16:21

Can I take cuttings from a well established "Hotlips" now?  & how do I cut it - just below a leaf joint? And do I root it in a glass of water first, or straight into Innes seed compost (or other?) .

also, which is best soil for my sweet pea plugs (for large pots, to grow on cones)? They are ready to plant- out now.  

thankyou.....

19/06/2014 at 16:45

Hi there i have had my hot lips a few years now, first year flowered great then wen it lost its flowers i actually forgotten what plant it was until i admired it in someones elses garden and it reminded me that i did buy one and that that must be it as leaves same appearence..so last year we planted out into ground as no flowers appeared..still no flowers this year just leaves and branches spreading out wide...i have never pruned it i am assuming now after reading this that perhaps that is my answer? although i have always feed it tomato fed in ground and wen in pot too. thank you

07/07/2014 at 12:43

mine was in the ground and flowered for 2 years but this year it has done nothing. It has no leaves or floweres. Do I throw it out?

07/07/2014 at 12:56

The plant make white flowers when really hot I brought mine and that is what the man said I did have the red and white flowers now, white it is the heat that does that

1 to 20 of 26 messages