London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
02/07/2014 at 07:34

Good Morning All....I am a newbie to the forum and just wondered if the forum has a seed swapping department.

02/07/2014 at 07:37

Hi Parkerwitton

We tend to start a new Seed Swap thread each year in the late summer .... 

02/07/2014 at 07:48
Ooo, yes please
02/07/2014 at 07:54
Could this be extended to plant swapping too?
02/07/2014 at 07:55

Plant swapping has happened 

It's important to remember that contact details should only be exchanged via the Private Message system 

02/07/2014 at 08:01
Oooo, am excited!

Where is everyone?????? Get up, get up, get up!
02/07/2014 at 10:01

I've been up for hours bekkie.

I'll post when I've got some seeds

I let the hellebores drop stupid woman, I'd got the best ones labelled with colour as well.

I'll try and do better as the season progresses

02/07/2014 at 11:26

No seeds available here yet although I shall be trying my best to contribute this year and next as I've had so much help from members setting up my first year in this garden.

02/07/2014 at 12:15

This early on in the season, I think its best if everyone interested saves seeds, labelled with variety if known, into Paper envelopes(a good use for all that junk mail) and not plastic. Then we should start listing in August. otherwise it all gets very  messy. Remember seeds have to dry off on the plant as much as possible. eg lupins are ripe when the bottom pods on the spike start to open and the seeds are black. if you collect too early the seeds will not be viable. Last year I had some green seeds sent to me in plastic, and surprise surprise, they never germinated.

Plant swapping is easiest on forum outings. i wouldn't like to send molly in a bucket through the post.

02/07/2014 at 12:17

(I must remember not to scoff the tomatoes without first saving a few seeds!!)

02/07/2014 at 12:18

Later on i will have pompom aquilegias, eryngiums, Linaria purpurea, and various assorted salvias.. The hellebores all went out as fresh because they have to be sown immediately.

02/07/2014 at 14:38
Phacelia tanetifolia is almost ready, will have borage, field poppy, oxeye daisy, possibly beans, foxgloves, red campion, aquilegia, callendula, catenache, nasturtiums, salvia, possibly pumkins (depending on harvest) and fennel

Will have plants of
Lemon balm, hardy blue geranium, jacobs ladder, strawberries, 4 baby yuccas, wild roses, escallonia (red flowers),

Sometimes get the odd montana clematis take in the path, if that happens then will have those too as i think all the neighbours who want one now have at least one!

Have probably forgotten loads

Does any one have a wish list?
02/07/2014 at 14:55

Sweet Peas are on my wish list, as are veggies. I don't think i'll have too much to offer in return, but I will hopefully have some black velvet petunia seeds at some point in the future! I love them but understand they aren't to everyone's taste!

02/07/2014 at 14:57
How about ever lasting sweet peas?
02/07/2014 at 14:58
Started a wish list thread
02/07/2014 at 15:02

I had to google!

I have a very small patch of a garden, from what I read quickly it wouldn't be too happy in a pot? I had some very standard SPs this year, which weren't overly successful I have to say but for a few pennies I'm not surprised, I'd love to try again next year though! But I am almost entirely limited to pots. nothing seems to thrive in our borders

02/07/2014 at 15:05
Well, there are special ones for pots, im sure some one on here will have grown some
What veggies are you thinking of growing?
02/07/2014 at 15:08

I have an allotment so anything I can pop in there! This year we've only had chance to grow a couple of things here and there. It's been a learning curve these past 6 months!

02/07/2014 at 15:12
Right, going to make a note, so i know what to save for who, it does depend on how well things do, but i have quite alot of things going and will be saving seed anyhow. Will post once i have seeds, then whoever wants what can pm me with where to send them, unless we have a forum get together
KEF
02/07/2014 at 17:31

I have a nice delphinium but seeds are earmarked for a lovely person who has given me loads of plants. Next year it might be on offer.

I think as Dove says we should start a new seed / plant swap thread a bit later in the season.

Happy gathering

1 to 20 of 29 messages