Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Seed Pod

Can anyone tell me what this seed pod is.  I thought it was a teasle on first glance but no.............

Many thanks in anticipation.

John boy

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Datura stramonium, Thornapple probably, a look at the whole pod and the plant it grew on would confirm (or not)

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • It was found where the Pheasants feed so assume it has grown from some of the seed.  Hope that helps.

John boy

• Yes you were right Nutcutlet.  Looked it up and it is not a very nice plant at all.  Thank you for taking the time to find it.

John Boy

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Looks scary to me image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

KEF - a thornapple/Datura is a type of Brugmansia image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Heck, my Brugmansia hasn't produced anything like that image Glad I don't have a Datura.

I do know that teasle produces heads that are filled with silky seeds and are great nesting material for the birds. image or is that Cardoon image

Must be cardoon KEF. Teasel seeds are goldfinch foodimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

That's cardoon (a bit like artichoke)  Teasles are the very prickly ones that were used to comb wool before spinning in the olden days when Frank was a lad image

You can also make hedgehogs out of them

Hefty's friends and relations image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thanks Nut image No teasel in the garden this year but some appearing ready for next year. Got rid of the cardoon it got too big and when not in flower unsightly, only kept it for the birds and they decided not to bother unless I scattered it for them preferring bits of old string. Feather duvet v old string    image  

String holds a nest together.image