Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

seeds

Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Sorry about this daft question ,i saved some seeds last year in kitchen food bags and lost the lot to mold ,im told envelopes does the trick now iv got white ones or does it Have to be Brown, daft but important,and do food containers work pleaseimage

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

The reason for using paper envelopes is that the paper absorbs moisture from both the seeds and from the atmosphere, so the seeds do not,supposedly, go mouldy. Colour is not important.

Once the seeds are properly dry then you can transfer the envelopes to a food container. I keep dried seeds in boxes in the Salad compartment of the fridge (not well thought of by the cook person).

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I just use the envelopes that come with junk mail.

When I post seeds out to anyone, on the seed swap thread, I make up tiny envelopes from junk mail, turning the writing bit inside out, being a tight a**se I dont use new ones.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Just forget plastic and all will be well Alanimage

If you want to keep them in a plastic food container make sure they're totally dry first and get some of those crystals for drying things out, I can't remember what they're called but you'll know what I mean

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Berghill - 'the cook person' imageimage

I have a lovely little wooden box that my daughter made at school which I keep some seeds in, in their paper packs. A tin is good as well, once you've got the seeds dry, and it's a good excuse to buy a tin of biscuits or chocs...not that I'd do that of course....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Silica gel

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Silica, that's the word I couldn't find. Thanks Lynimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

that's what i wanted to know, all take a bow and many thanks to you all from erein trying  to be sunny Norfolk  cheers allimageimage