London (change)
Today 21°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
12 messages
14/01/2014 at 13:48

I have planted 3 September Raspberry plants and need to know how high they grow so I can buy the poles and wire to fix them too. Can anyone help please?

14/01/2014 at 14:02

Autumn-fruiting raspberries don't grow as tall or need as much support as the summer fruiting ones - there's information here http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=148

14/01/2014 at 14:42

Thank you Dovefromabove.

14/01/2014 at 15:03

Well my autumn raspberries were around 5' tall, but my neighbours were over 6'. It will depend on the variety and the cultivation. I would check out the name of the variety as a guide.

14/01/2014 at 16:28

Mine grew to over 6ft, but only once they had been in for two years.

14/01/2014 at 17:31

Your replies are all helpful, thank you.

Lindsay2610 how did you get your lovely photo up there, I have been trying all day with no success. 

14/01/2014 at 17:48

I grow September. They are about chest height (I'm 5'3") We put in supports years ago but they didn't really need them. Anyway they didn't like them because they wouldn't stay put! They tend to wander about the veg garden. I used to try to control them in winter by digging them up and putting them where I wanted them, but they didn't take any notice, so now I just work around them. They've been there over 20 years and still crop well.

I've tried other varieties, but they never last. I live in Dordogne and the summer can be very hot. September seems to cope with it.

14/01/2014 at 18:04

How strange I have never heard of September Raspberries roaming round the garden; I had some bamboos that did that! Thank you for your response, that is more the height I was imagining, so I hope mine are a bit like yours, though I would rather they stayed where I put them!

16/05/2014 at 08:10

Apologies Julie, I haven't been on the forum in months and didn't see your question - looks like you managed to get your picture up though

16/05/2014 at 08:34

I've got raspberries that roam. The roamers do better than the ones in the rows. Twice a year fruiting, first in Autumn, or into November last year, and then again on the same canes in June. I cant remember the variety, and they were only in the catalogues one year. big fruit, and the canes are currently at 8ft.

16/05/2014 at 08:43

Mine are like that, but shorter. The variety is "September", the shortest and roamiest of all the raspeberries I have grown, but the only variety I still have. The other varieties didn't like the hot dry sun of SW France in the summer. They fruit on the old canes in June and the new canes in autumn, so in winter or early spring I cut out the old canes that have fruited twice and shorten the new ones, by a few inches.

16/05/2014 at 11:47

Likewise, busy lizzie. My current raspberry patch is totally infested with perennial weeds, docks, bindweed etc. I think I will start a new patch , dig this lot out and give it a blitz to clear the land out and start again.

Raspberries are my favourite fruit. So I want suggestions for good varieties to give me continuity from as early as poss to late as poss.

email image
12 messages