London (change)
Today 11°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
16 messages
11/07/2014 at 22:12

First time. Growing a squash, 1 plsnt in a big pot and trained up canes and string like a nest.  Finally got round to nipping out the growing tips and realised just how many fruit are on there. Suspect i should thin them but what's the criteria? 

12/07/2014 at 08:25
Hi, ive never thinned mine, but never had to! Are the fruit set? Just asking as many often fall off. I would suppose that if there are more fruit than you think the plant will be able to cope with then yes, you may have to remove some, not sure which squash you are growing, but dont forget the fruit often needs a supporting hammock when it gets big tights or the netting from oranges etc will do
12/07/2014 at 11:52

Are you sure they're all fruits?  Male and female flowers are separate and the male ones tend to be more prolific.

13/07/2014 at 11:31

Just checked and there are indeed a lot of male flowers and a dozen or so fruits. More budds but I'll stop worrying til i see what they are. 

Thanx both

13/07/2014 at 11:36

Should I remove this male flowers?

13/07/2014 at 11:47

No! 

Let me tell you about the birds and the bees ......... 

13/07/2014 at 11:49

Lol, just wondered becase you're supposed to take them off cucumbers aren't you?   I'm such a dunce with veg!

13/07/2014 at 12:05

No, you're learning just like the rest of us .... just some of us have struggled a bit further along the path ........

And sometimes I tease people if I think they know me well enough 

And yes, there are some varieties of cucumbers - the greenhouse ones, which produce fruit without being pollinated so you remove the male flowers because if they did pollinate the females it makes the fruit taste bitter.  

13/07/2014 at 13:17

How do you know if they're greenhouse ones or not?   Always been given then in the past and fsiled miserably. This year Thompson and Morgan (or similar) sent 2 mini plugs- I refuse to waste my time so t' other half is having ago in a pot outside. Ditto 2 courgette plants his boss gave us. Bloomin curbits!  

Edd
13/07/2014 at 13:27

If there is glass between the plant and the out side then its a greenhouse cucumber. Hope this helps, better.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GREENHOUSE AND OUTDOOR RIDGE CUCUMBRS

When you buy your cucumber seeds they will be classified as one of three types based on how early they can be sown in the year combined with how long they take to be ready for harvest.

• GREENHOUSE CUCUMBERS
    These are classically grown varieties such as Bella and Pyralis. These varieties are only suitable for growing in warm temperatures such as those provided by a greenhouse. They tend to be longer than outdoor cucumbers. All greenhouse cucumbers will require frequent manual watering often as much as once a day. If you enjoy a summer holiday and don't have a trusted friend to look after your cucumbers daily while you are away then forget about growing this type of cucumber.

• OUTDOOR CUCUMBERS
    Over the last 40 years or so excellent varieties of cucumbers have been developed for growing outside directly in the soil. These are sometimes called ridge cucumbers. Well known varieties include Marketmore. Many outdoor ridge cucumbers have small bumps on them although not all as La Diva proves.

The debate as to which type of cucumber tastes best, outdoor or greenhouse grown, will go on for ever but in blind tastings both came out about the same.

Gardenfocused.

13/07/2014 at 13:31

We'll be taking our chances then

13/07/2014 at 14:40
I dont worry too much about indoor vs outdoor, plant it, give it as shelterd a spot as poss, if it grows, it grows!

If it makes you feel any better, i started my cues far too late, and have grown them on too hard, they aint happy, but will see what happens, if we get warm weather until xmas, i may get some fruit!
19/07/2014 at 18:22

Should I remove this male flowers?

19/07/2014 at 18:24

So, 1 of the squasheses is looking like it might be reafy but how do I tell if its ready to pick? 

19/07/2014 at 21:31
All i can tell you is that i didnt remove the male fruits of mine last year (didnt even think of it as i had always grown all females before) and they were inedible they were so bitter!
As far as your squash is concerned, i dont know which you are growing, and its really hard to tell, as they last well, i would be inclined to leave it a little longer to be sure. Im ashamed to say ive never eaten any of the squash/ pumpkins ive grown
21/07/2014 at 18:54

What?  Why? !

email image
16 messages