Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

silly question time

I've been busy making news paper pot for a week or two. Ive made nearly four hundred with more to make on the cards. But while I was making them I suddenly thought what is the best way to water them. I have made them and placed them in seed trays.

I was going to place the seed trays onto a watering mat in side a grow bag tray and water from above. BUT would it be better to place the pots onto the watering mat in side the grow bag tray. while I'm worried about the paper breaking down im also worried about the pots and mould

Advice is clearly needed

Clueless

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    400.....wow that's some going. I got one of those paper pot makers but haven't started yet, I need some newspaper first!!!

Sorry I haven't got a clue about watering, it should be me called clueless gardener really, but I was wondering the same thing the other day so will be interested to see the answers.

Well done on all the pot making....I better get started ????
  • Hi Clueless,

I would have thought as soon as water comes in contact with the paper, whichever way round you do it, your snookered, the paper will turn to mush. Are you treating these as fibre pots? If so why are you not planting them in their growing position? Why do you want lots of paper pots? If its a cost cutting exercise, because you have made a lot, you could put them in paper egg trays. You might try hotels, restaurants etc. anyone that has eggs delivered on a large scale. That type of paper/card might withstand water a bit more than newspaper. I'm just thinking out loud here.  

• just had another thought, hemp string, one end in the soil, the other end in a jar of water. The string absorbs the water travels up the string and moistens the soil?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Apparently, if you pack them all into a tray and tie a piece of string around them to keep them together and water into the tray, they don't disintegrate.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/blogs/gardeners-musings/making-plant-pots-from-old-newspaper/3112.html

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I do the same with insides of loo rolls - but i don't need 400, or i would have to call in reinforcementsimage

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    I was going to ask about loo rolls, apparently they are good for sweet peas and broad beans. Is it right that they can be planted straight into the soil?
  • Busy-Lizzie

I have read the post/thread your link sent me to but no tips on watering where given from the bottom or top these are not a new invention some one should come along and point me in the right direction for their own experience

Clueless

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Internet consensus seems to be little and often from the top. Got a paper pot maker for Christmas so would love to know how you get on Clueless image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Clueless I brought my grandfather one of these a few years go. I'm sure it said little and often from the top to avoid an overly soggy bottom. Perhaps you coukd experiment with a water dropper verses using a spray bottle to create a mist?

400? Gosh sounds like you've got a busy year ahead of you! Do let us know how you get on I'd love to know if they're worthy as they suit my money tight credentials! 

• Thank you Panda

I'm not sure I will use all on them yet. But hay they can always go on the compost heap. I'm a little but confused about potting seedlings would some one help me.

do you

sow in plug trays and then transfer to

paper pots then

3" pots then plant out to their finial position or

5/7" pots then

plant out to their finial position In the past I've bought flowers in the larger plug pot the garden centers use and plant into there Finial position but it's always knocked the growing back three to four weeks

Clueless