London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
601 to 620 of 622 messages
14/12/2013 at 09:00

All year we tell our children not to to lie or talk to strangers, then xmas draws near and we we tell them Santa is coming into their homes  

KEF
14/12/2013 at 09:05
star gaze lily wrote (see)

All year we tell our children not to to lie or talk to strangers, then xmas draws near and we we tell them Santa is coming into their homes  

How many of us remember other kids at school who insisted they'd seen Santa...the not telling lies bit didn't work

14/12/2013 at 09:47
Ah but KEF, I really DID see Santa - last week at a party for one, the week before at Kelham Island for two....
15/12/2013 at 00:04

Can remember as a child, slightly waking up and seeing 'santa' come in my room and leave my presents at the bottom of my bed, of course it was my dad dressed up, but it was a magical memory. 

15/12/2013 at 07:04

My son was gutted when he found out. we had lied to him for years his very words where "you told me not to lie if I had known I would not of ask for so much as I know we can't afford it  " Bless him how ever he still asks for to much

in for a penny in for a pound

go for the hole hog

James

15/12/2013 at 08:20

Its not just santa we lie about clueless,  there's the fairys at the bottom of the garden and also the tooth fairy! 

KEF
15/12/2013 at 08:38

Being the oldest with 3 younger siblings, there came a time when Dad told me that they had to pay Father Christmas for the presents so I could only have certain things. I won't mention that we are Yorkshire folks.

15/12/2013 at 08:41

No one ever told me, and I'll never admit to my boys 16 and 11.  (sorry too early in the day for putting much effort into a quote!)

10/04/2014 at 18:00

MrsG,  look what I found

10/04/2014 at 18:02

Thought this quote was suitable for the old r****g at work 

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42013.jpeg?width=234&height=215&mode=max

10/04/2014 at 22:12

Panda thought you'd like that one 

10/04/2014 at 22:16

And I do 

11/04/2014 at 11:00

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42050.jpeg?width=322&height=350&mode=max

11/04/2014 at 21:33

My granddad used to say " stand behind a shooter and in front of a sh***er and you'll get neither shot nor sh***en on". He used to work with heavy horses and I think it came from that and a cynicism of the human race.

11/04/2014 at 23:16

12/04/2014 at 01:56

Just seen this thread, and n0t time to read thro' it all. But I distincly remember asking My Mum whether the Tooth fairy would really want the tooth that had a hole in it. She replied 'What do you think they use for windows in the Fairy Castles?' I even got 10p more for that one! The lies we tell, while telling our kids the consequences of doing the same! My 11 y o is now 'Santa'  to his younger brother. He helps me do 'Santa's' job, from the ordering of the presents, to the wrapping and 'delivery'.  Some lies are ok.

Lisa Massey,bet your Granda was a yorkshireman?  A tighter, more cynical, mocking race of men I have never met. Neither have I met a more genorous, dry, fun, honest and welcoming bunch, either. And I am most definately Lancastrian in origin!  If you tell me he was Lancastrian, then  you just won the 'Wars of the Roses.! But we're both known for almost insulting honesty! However, I'm not sure it always matters where you stand, most people get s*****n on at least once in thier lives. The best of us wipe it off and move on. It often comes from the least expected direction! I've worked with horses for most of my life. Your Granda definitely did NOT mean equines of any sort!! You Know where you stand with them.

The notice I have on my door says 'Bad Day in Progress. Approach at your own Risk!' Well, you were forewarned, but mostly I'm ok, just too busy. Every day is a bad day if you expect tidy and organised. I have kids. But don't bother on PMT days! Even tidy could be bad for you! Especially interrupting garden time!

Funny my eldest helps with Santa Claus, but still believes in the Tooth Fairy. Might that last until he has run out of teeth?

AWB
12/04/2014 at 03:53

A very good Austrian friend would often say "if my auntie had a pr**k she would be my uncle. There was another old Austrian saying that started "if cows shat butter" but I can't remember the punchline,

A Prunus Nigra was planted by me to his memory, which I thought was appropriate.

AWB
12/04/2014 at 03:56

That should read Pinus, autofill correction not spotted.

12/04/2014 at 05:58

When the In-laws were starting a family our children were very inquisitive as to what the sex of the new baby might be.

I used to say to them "We don't know if it's a boy or girl so I'm not sure if I'm going to be an Auntie or an Uncle"

They never twigged!

12/04/2014 at 06:02

When our Daughter was little she would send a note to the tooth fairy with the tooth and put it under her pillow.

We had a right old time constructing replies to her from "the tooth fairy" and seeing the delight she had in receiving a response was priceless!

601 to 620 of 622 messages