Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Slug explosion

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

On the BBC webpage it states there will be a slug explosion due to the mild winter, it states the average garden has an average of 2000 slugs harbouring and they lay 200 eggs per cubic metre. Seems a bit over the top to me.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,472

Slug explosion sounds messy, but definitely environmentally friendly.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

hopefully once the blackbirds and thrushes get going ( mine are tossing mulch about with gay abandon in their searching ) there will be an explosion of them too.

Devon.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Blood and feathers everywhere!

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    On another forum we are on, my OH has just written B*mb and Is*s, I am waiting for a visit from MI5/6 !

Slugs will explode very well if you go around the garden with a meat skewer.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Haha pansyface, i'm off to hide in my bunker.

Me and hubby were discussing slugs this morning and we're going to try drowning them in real ale this year in order to avoid slug pellets. If they don't like Scruttocks Old Original then they really do have very poor taste for invertebrates.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Aha!  If you're expecting a visit from the M5 or M6 you must be near Birmingham! image

I like chopping them with a trowel image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    They quite like Value Lager, don't waste your best stuff on themimage
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

And unfortunately tempting the novice viewers with slug pellets as a result. Just another factor to contribute to the hedgehog decline. 

• ZenjeffZenjeff Posts: 652

A few slug facts its 20,000 only 5% live  above ground active above 5c lay up to 200 eggs 7 times a year what a battle

• Research has shown that the average UK garden has a population of over 20,000 slugs and snails.
        • A cubic metre of garden will on average contain up to 200 slugs
        • Nematoids are the answer and harmless to wildlife
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

As I understand it - and I should like very much to be corrected here - nematode applications only last for about six weeks and are very expensive. I do use slug pellets when I have to, reluctantly, but I would welcome an affordable alternative. I don't have to worry about hedgehogs: the badgers drove them away more than twenty years ago. I would need to treat about a third of an acre if I didn't do the grass.