London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
12 messages
Edd
25/06/2014 at 23:24

Hello all.

After reading this article  some months ago ( that i thought was too good to be true) and other things that members on here have said about slug pellets/slug pubs and night hunting with torches. I thought i would look into the affects that (us) gardeners say and what the manufacturers say. We would all like to be chemical free and we all know that Nematodes give the best results.   Obviously there affect on slugs are great and the manufacturers know this and want to keep it to themselves as they want you to buy more.    But these Nematodes already exist in the soil you have, so why can't we expand on this, and use them.  Why not grow our own!!!   As i say i have looked into this both sides and its not for the faint hearted. What i need is volunteers, preferably with two raised beds so we can use one as a control. After that we will just have to wait and see.   Please read the article and comments after, but do not get over excited. There is a lot more to it.   Or is there??????????????   http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningequipment/8675592/The-war-on-slugs-starts-at-home.html

Edd
25/06/2014 at 23:27

Sorry i got a 's in the title along with a is and i can't change it. Sorry.

25/06/2014 at 23:34
Was interested, but couldnt kill them, used to have a pet slug called bella!
Good luck with it tho, always enjoy reading your posts
26/06/2014 at 07:28

26/06/2014 at 07:44

Indeed!

26/06/2014 at 07:53
Hi Edd

I saw this article and thought I might have a go, although so far I am using the excuse that I haven't got a bucket. A rather lame cover to feeling slightly squeamish about it, although I would happily use bought nematodes or drown them in beer : /

Hadn't thought about being systematic though and treating two beds as a proper test and compare. I have just brewed up some garlic spray to use so think I will 'test' that first and then try the slug death brew. Your post has prompted me to be more systematic and maybe also grow the same type of seedlings in each bed so I am comparing like with like.

Will report back if I do so : )
26/06/2014 at 08:57

Hmm. That's interesting.

I get along quite well with my gastropod collection though so I won't be farming any nemotodes for now - it might set something out of kilter.

26/06/2014 at 09:16
Hi Victoria

I've never done very much before now as in our old garden we never had a real problem. But we now have an allotment and for the first time I can understand the need but determined to use organic only methods.
26/06/2014 at 10:07

Yes, ChrissieB, I can imagine veg growers will have to have some system in place...I don't mean to imply I can grow anything I like without getting chew marks/ things destroyed - that would be a fib- more that the 'pods and I have reached a shaky truce

26/06/2014 at 13:18

"Check your traps daily and gather your slimy harvest into a jar. Once you have caught around 10 to 20 slugs..." Good grief! When the numbers I find on my nightly slug patrol got down to 20 'pods, I took that as a sign that my methods are working. I used to get 100 at a time, easily! (Duration of slug patrol is as long as I can hold out against the midges.) If it takes you several days to find 10 slugs, I'd say you don't have a slug problem.

A friend told me about breeding nematodes a few years ago - her method included chopping the slugs up - but I'm too squeamish to try it. I can just about cope with stamping on them, which I do. Apart from that, I try to encourage predators. There's a patch I leave unweeded where the frogs live (I thought about making a pond there, but as they've moved in anyway, I probably won't bother), I see more and more centipedes, and there were hundreds of beetle grubs in the leaf pile this spring. We even have a blackbird that wipes the slime off slugs before dispatching them.

26/06/2014 at 17:36

Yes Zech - I know what you mean, I can get 10 - 20 slugs in a matter of minutes.  Edd I think I will have a go next week, and but I do not have two raised beds to add as a control.  I would have to judge it by how much the chomping of my dahlia and the pot of salvias eases off.  If that is good enough, then I'm happy to join the trial.

Edd
07/07/2014 at 22:26

Bump?

email image
12 messages