Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Slugs knippimg.......

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

my kniphofias been attacked recently and this evening I got 'em. Big fat slugs.  

so far this summer I have had little damage from slugs and snails but large slugs are now emerging.  Time of year for them I guess. 

no more knipping for those guys now tho image

what "delicacies" are these slugs fond of in your gardens?

• herbaceousherbaceous Posts: 2,318

Where to start? Most irritating attack was in my greenhouse, cheek! Bumper crop of lovely peppers (still green but very inviting) and I found four of them with little nibbled holes at the top.

I believe I have said before - trusty slug scissors, bag of salt, torch = happy herb  image

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

They've been hiding under my lettuce. Could not believe the size of them when I pulled  up some lettuce today.

herbaceoous - it may not be slugs and snails causing the damage to your peppers, have you seen them in your GH.  I thought they were nibbling on my toms, but was informed by 'experts' at the Southport Flower Show, it was the caterpillar of a moth which eats the fruit and not the leaves. Once I knew what I was looking for, found the little critters, which have now been dispatched to the GH in the sky image .  

That is intriguing Zoomer! I have dispatched three slugs and two snails all of whom I accused of ruining my proposed ratatouille, I am trying to feel guilt at the possibility I accused them wrongly, no not happening, I'm sure they deserved it.

I will however be looking more closely at the damaged areas just in case. Thanks for the heads up.

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett

No probs - herbaceous -  I've holes in the leaves of peppers and aubergines plant's in the GH, and me thinks these are caused by slugs and snails but the fruit is undamaged image.

Don't just inspect the plant, put some white paper around the bottom of the pepper plant and give it a good shake, it it's a caterpillar you may dislodge it, in which case it'll fall off onto the paper.   

That could be a bit tricky Zoomer, my 'budget' gardening (small GH only) and untidy construction skills mean that I don't disturb anything in my GH once it has grown past 12" as it is possible to bring the whole lot down. I will put some paper underneath and poke circumspectly though just to see what happens.

My cucumber brought one of my tomato plants down last week so one end of the GH now looks like an Indiana Jones film set with canes, twine and old broom handles everywhere in an attempt to keep stuff off the ground.

What colour are the caterpillars? I might have more luck with my trusty torch after dark if they are light coloured.

OK Verdun, I have already been on a guilt trip about a possible slanderous attack on the poor gastropods! I have searched my conscience diligently and I am convinced they were up to no good, maybe not the peppers, but something! And I am confident of mercy image

Lol - Well there lies a tale Verdun, I did the tour of Lancaster Castle yesterday and some yrs ago did jury service there. 

The death penalty and transportation to far off lands was aministrated for crimes not much worse than killing slugs, most were convicted on the flimsy of evidence, thoughimage

• Everything ! Main victims have been delphiniums and foxgloves. Of course my Lupins got virtually destroyed too. Lettuce, radishes even the beetroot. I've been out most nights this week with a trusty small cane. I've skewered so many and am leaving them on the sticks in the flower beds. Like a garden version of tower bridge. To warn others of their likely fate.