London (change)
Thu 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
7 messages
09/05/2014 at 15:45

Can anyone offer advice on the above, the trees were fine 2 weeks ago, now the leaves are being eaten on all 3 trees. Some leaves are distorted & discoloured but the plums don't look to have been affected (yet).  They are all on our allotment & as far as we know no-one else seems to have the same problem.  They've been fine in previous years.  We can't see any bugs on the leaves & just don't know what to do.  They aren't old trees, the eldest has only been in about 6 years.   Peach leaf curl has been suggested but we don't know for sure.  The new Victoria is as yet unaffected.  Any advice for treatment or prevention please.  Are we going to lose them?

09/05/2014 at 16:43

What you describe does not sound like the leaves are being eaten. Peach Leaf curl does not occur in Plum, so it is not that.

I advise to post some pics of the trees, and upclose to a leaf or three and we can try and help further.

09/05/2014 at 17:21

There are some teeny weeny green caterpillars eating my plum tree leaves just now. They seem to munch and move on pretty quickly so I find them on leaves that are undamaged - clever little beasties, eh?

I pick them off and put them on the bird table for the bluetits.

09/05/2014 at 17:25

I've answered a query similar to this a few days ago. I suspect it's an infestation of plum aphids. If so the little critters will be inside the rolled-up leaves.

Although it's unsightly, it won't affect the fruit. although the honeydew they secrete will attract sooty mildew fungus later on.

Difficult to get rid of unless you are prepared to spray and a systemic spray will need to be used as a contact spray can't reach them....would recommend 'Bug Clear'. 

09/05/2014 at 19:20

Thank you David K for the advice, I'll double check tomorrow with a magnifying glass

10/05/2014 at 17:12

Thank you , my question answered too!

10/05/2014 at 17:53
Airwaves wrote (see)

Thank you , my question answered too!

You're welcome...the same query seems to have arisen a few times recently, so perhaps it's a busy year for plum aphids.

Btw, this could just as easily be applied to damson trees.

email image
7 messages