London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
9 messages
05/06/2014 at 15:55

I have a conservatory with a clear plastic roof and I throw bread crumbs up on to it and watch the sparrows from underneath scrabbling and skidding around which is highly amusing until the gulls turn up

Anyone else got any Bird Stories

05/06/2014 at 17:04

It's been manic in my back garden today, our blue tits have finaly fledged they have been competing at the bird feeders with 2 or 3 pairs of great tits also feeding their young. Birds everywere ! we can here all the young ones in the trees at the back of our house. It's been great watching them all.

05/06/2014 at 17:49

I was buzzed by a buzzard this afternoon!

06/06/2014 at 15:02

I have just 'obtained' a very fat pigeon who loves to sit in the bird bath for ages, not letting any other birds in and having such a lovely time that there is no water left by the time he leaves.  I then have to refill so the others get a look in.

19/06/2014 at 19:07

I have sparrows and starlings and pigeons queing up to take turns and like you have to refil twice a day

Foxes eating raisins and pigeons

19/06/2014 at 20:10

I have wood pigeons who are trying really hard to build a nest in our birch tree without success.  As they fly in with twigs they place them somewhere in the tree and then the twigs promptly fall down to the ground.  They have done this for several years.  

19/06/2014 at 20:19

Forester - they really are thick aren't they? They nest every year in a large conifer near the door of the building I work in and I had to rescue a young one which had fallen out the nest recently. Wasn't likely to last long-  I could only tuck it up against the fence at the foot of the tree. Magpies or crows got it I think.

I had a sparrow family visiting recently. Dad on the ground  strutting about, Mum on the shed roof , and the two youngsters hopping along the fence chattering away. I'd just sat down for a break and I would have gone to get the camera but I'd probably have disturbed them if I had.

19/06/2014 at 20:41

Although we're in the middle of town, we're still quite close to the estuary - that would explain why a crafty jackdaw might have helped itself to a closed cockle shell and was hammering it in the gutter near my bedroom window around 05.30 this morning! The bird flew off as I opened the curtain - but could be seen continuing his task atop a neighbouring chimney when I reached and opened a velux skylight in the attic bedroom!!

05/07/2014 at 10:49

There is a sparrow who seems to cheep all day long from my hedge

Its obviously not just one

Got 10 sparrows on The Hot Tin Roof chomping on crushed up Rich tea biscuits

Very amusing as i expect the Gulls to arrive soon !

email image
9 messages