London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
18 messages
11/02/2014 at 08:15

Am I the only person who buys bulbs in September fully intending to plant them up immediately and then doesn't get round to it - there is always a good reason, this year's is that the builders arrived and took over the garden with all their materials and equipment!

The thing is what can I do with the bulbs.  Some have started to shot, the vast majority of them look and feel healthy and I am loath to just throw them away.  Has anyone else been in this situation and managed to retrieve something?  Any help and suggestions would be gratefully received.  Please don't tell me off for not planting them, I know I have been very bad and I am feeling suitably guilty!!

11/02/2014 at 08:17

The only way to keep them for next year is to plant them now. Unplanted bulbs will just shrivel and dry up. You might not get any flowers this year

11/02/2014 at 08:21
No chastising teenfbee. If we had time to do everything right life wouldn't be as much fun. Agree with fleurisa, get your wellies on and plant them out now, see what happens this year and next, nothing to loose.
11/02/2014 at 08:30

Plant them in pots and feed them when they die down, then they may be good for next year. Some may flower this year which means you will have some pretty pots. I don't know how many you have but they can go quite close together. Then in autumn you can put them where you'd planned and the builders will have gone (hopefully!)

11/02/2014 at 08:58
I'm guilty of that too teenrbee so you're not on your own. I bought some daffs late on when reduced and they are still sat there, I had every intention of planting them but time ran away with me, as it does. Anyway, I am going to plant mine in my new border, as the others have said we may not get flowers this year but hopefully they will be good for next year
11/02/2014 at 09:11

Thanks everyone.  I'm so glad I'm not the only one Tracey-Newbie.  It's blowing a gale at the moment (but then I do live on top of a hill!) and keeps raining on and off.  Thinking if the wind drops a bit I might go and take some compost and pots and plant up some bulbs in the polytunnel, at least I'll stay dry which isn't easy at the moment is it?  At least by planting them up it gives them all a fighting chance doesn't it.  I'm feeling like I don't deserve any flowers this year since I neglected them but you never know for next year.  

11/02/2014 at 09:20

i'm terrible for not getting round to planting bulbs when get them, stuck some in last week,all look fine...on similar thread, dug some bulbs/roots/rhizomes-unsure- up last year when moved into house to lay lawn, they just got left unplanted in large pots...i'm new gardener so unsure think they have rhizomes??all sprouted and 6 inches long very limey yellowy green,may plant in pots when rain stops to see what they are before i give them room in tiny garden

11/02/2014 at 09:24

I've got some tulips in the shed, ex-pots display from last season. I'm not sure whether to bother or not, Tulips tend not to do much the second year, not that sort anyway. Plus, the ground's wet and I haven't got more than a teaspoonful of compost left.

They're shooting, maybe they'll push their flowers out through the string bags

11/02/2014 at 09:32

Wouldn't that be pretty Nutcutlet, you can but hope!

11/02/2014 at 09:34
How fab would that be, and we could just hang the string bag up, nice and easy hanging basket
11/02/2014 at 11:13

like a no effort hanging basket 

11/02/2014 at 11:49

...I've planted Tulips as late as February and they've grown and flowered in April/May.. free packets end of season give aways from Garden Centre...

..those you have I would just bury them somewhere in the ground and see what happens... wet or not...nothing to lose really... I'm sure with your vast acreage... you could fit them in somewhere...

11/02/2014 at 11:53

As soon as it stops raining Salino.

I shall feel guilty all year if I let them die

11/02/2014 at 13:53

nut 

You are not alone......I still have some unplanted. I've also managed to lose some - no idea where I've put 'em 

I'll chuck them into a couple of pots and let them take their chances. I did get about 400 planted so I'm not going to beat myself up about it -  I had a hedge to put in as well! 

11/02/2014 at 16:17

…. we built some new raised beds, removing various bulbs as we went, most got planted but heaven alone knows where, meantime another box of bulbs got overlooked - it'll be fun this year seeing what comes up and where - or even if, should the wet continue!

11/02/2014 at 16:46

i do that! in some ways i think gosh i should label but it's a nice surprise seeing where things pop up!

11/02/2014 at 17:04

I never know where anything is if I can't see it. I love surprises

11/02/2014 at 21:38

Although bulbs provide us with some fantastic flowers, sadly they no sooner bloom and they're gone.  To be honest, I find that they can be a bit of a PIA when planted in the ground.  So often the bulbs get cut to bits when planting on top of them.  I pot all bulbs up usually.  Thenplace them here and there in the garden.  I need the space.

email image
18 messages