Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

spring things

davids10davids10 Posts: 894

moved the penstemons and the stem propagated echinaceas into the cold frame to harden off. planted a couple of salvia clevelandii cuttings. was delighted to find volunteer delphinium elatums, a first for me. decided there was no point worrying about the eremurus bungei  and himalaicus already being up a couple of inches. the back garden which i replanted last year-mostly iris, delphiniums and lupins-is filling up with seedling cheiranthus, hesperis, lunaria, larkspur, nepeta, three kinds of rudbeckia, stipa tenuissima, hollyhocks and things not yet identified. all of which would make a nice garden just not the one i planned. we have had record warm temps so garden is months ahead of itself which is nice but scary.

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

it's difficult to keep myself from doing too much, too early. so split veronica gentianoides and four or five geums that had exceptional winter. a friend sent me the ahp plant of the year 2015 and the list since 1990. had all of them except athyrium picta. on the other hand this years choice was g. biokovo, which i believe is older than dirt.  

echinacea pink double delight stem propagated in late nov. there are two plants on each stem so can make more plants or not. decisions, decisions.

• Oooh, I thought you were someone new, but it's still you image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

a good day for looking at plants and thinking about new ways of putting them together. just realized that verbena rigida would be grand with agave neo-mexicana and as long as i was messing about in the bed i might as well move the yucca rostrata to make room for the muhlenbergia white cloud. then i noticed that the artemisia powis castle had layered so moved one to background perovskia blue spires which in  turn will have tanacetum nivea growing through it and the whole thing edged in delosperma desert jewels. it's fun having an extravagant variety of plants.

to the new mostly silver and grey planting in the back garden added artemisia valerie finnis, lychnis coronaria and penstemon palmeri.

• I always forget how much I like crocuses until I see them again - great photos Davidimage

Wearside, England.

aeonium sunburst-strictly for the indoors but came with a shipment from my favorite perennial nursery. 

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Really enjoyed looking up your planting combos Davidimage especially love the agave.  Wish I could grow those here

hullo wintersong-how've you been? is that your pooch? agaves flourish in containers. neomexicana is the hardiest but i imagine all would would be fine if kept dry in winter. the big question now is whether to add anthemis sancti-johannes and erigeron wayne roderick to the back-the answer is probably yes. moved the last of the delosperma firespinner to the back. it would have looked great where it was but it didn't care for the location. 

if pickwick is here it must be spring. thinning and shaping trees and shrubs-mostly weigelas and viburnums. they had their main whack last spring after blooming, this is mostly minor for aesthetic reasons. reminding myself that although the weigela look a twiggy mess that mess will be a mass of bloom shortly. seeds that were winter sown in late nov. are sprouting. echinacea paradoxa, delphinium pacific coast hybrids, and a crimson snapdragon guaranteed to be 4 ft. tall are looking good. a couple of new rudbeckia triloba are showing signs of life.  brugmansia- a double yellow, a double purple and a triple purple have moved from the refrigerator to a north window so in a week or two good things should be happening. warm today but cold tonight so think i will throw some dry compost on top of some over enthusiastic plants.