Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

spuds just fall apart when boiled

ritnaritna Posts: 39
Hi all....I know theres a wealth of experience out there...can someone help me? Why oh why do my spuds fall apart when boiled. I dont peel them. I watch them carefully, to no avail. Ive grown different varieties...in different parts of the allotment (AKA rotation). They look so lush when i dig them up, but unless eaten raw (ps i dont) they just fall apart...can you help me good gardening folks? Many thanks....

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

How long are you cooking them for?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

In my experience, some varieties are more prone to this than others.  Charlotte will turn to mush very easily;  the best solution is to steam them (unpeeled). 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

New spuds keep their shape if microwaved, too.

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • ritnaritna Posts: 39
    Hi peeps...ta for advice...hey shrinking violet...yoo are spot on...charlotte spuds...i will steam....any variety suggestions?
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

Mine are Charlotte and can be inclined to fall apart. A great way to cook them is in foil parcels in the oven:

Put the washed potatoes (chop up larger ones) in a bowl with a little olive oil, salt, garlic and rosemary. Mix well, then wrap portions loosely in foil parcels. Bake for 45 mins to an hour in a fairly hot oven. This method keeps the skins intact and enhances the flavour of the potatoes.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

Another tip is to bring the spuds to the boil then switch off the heat and leave with the lid on for 20 minutes.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Pink Fir Apple never seem to go mushy.  Very knobbly to prepare though.

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Charlotte wash dry into pan hot water from kettle some fresh mint bring back to boil turn down to simmer 15 minutes exactly, never fails for me and with a knob of butter who needs anything else.

Frank.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Have you tried steaming them instead?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I cut Charlottes so they are all the same size as the smallest (approx) then boil from cold in as little water as will barely cover them adding fresh mint. Test with a sharp knife from time to time; but they don't take long (8 mins perhaps?) I have never had them collapse so far. Any left over, slice and saute next day and sprinkle with chopped chivesimage