London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
6 messages
12/07/2014 at 09:37

I am growing squashes crown prince and buffy ball for the first time. The buffy ball are growing slowly. The crown prince look like they want to take over the world. Has anyone grown this variety before? Do I stop them at a certain number of fruits or let them get on with it.? I have four plants of each, a metre apart in well manured soil, in the sunniest patch.

Edd
12/07/2014 at 10:39

I love crown prince but they do get big. I have had them up to 15lb but they are better tasting when smaller.

I pinch out the growing tips in mid-August (up north) and then i keep doing it. it forces them to conserve energy for flower and fruit production. Keep them under control  and you'll have many more fruit to pick.

Regards

Edd.

12/07/2014 at 10:45

I grew 3 crown prince last year fidget and they were indeed rampant - they grew to well over 6m!  I left them to their own devices but only had one or 2 fruit set per plant despite hand-pollinating - each was about 4kg,  so I suggest some control may be better and might produce a greater number of more manageable sized fruit.  Perhaps try that with one or two of them?  This year I also have a couple of them and am going to pinch out the main growing tip at 3m as an experiment and when side shoots develop, pinch those out after the first fruit set on each (if they do..)  In addition I have several other varieties and harrier are my best hope for the future - they are producing female flowers much closer to the centre and are supposed to be bushy and less spreading.  We shall see!  Also growing barbara butternut, autumn crown (blurb says average 5 fruit per plant and a bit smaller than c.prince) and pumpkin summer ball which I can't praise highly enough - extremely compact, incredibly productive (think courgettes!) and also store much better than I thought they would.  They are a regular here.  If no-one else with more experience chips-in, perhaps we can report back on this thread about developments/results?

edit: Edd replied while[ I was typing, so looks like pinching out is the thing to do.

12/07/2014 at 11:44

They're delicious cut up and roasted.  Don't even think of peeling them first though - they're much too hard.  In fact you might have trouble cutting them up!

12/07/2014 at 13:07

Too right, Steve!  I used the last one (stored from last year) in May and had to start the (very sharp!) kitchen knife off with a rubber mallet in order to make the first cut!  I slice the skin off each section completely before roasting as the skin on Crown Prince does not go soft during roasting like it does on some other varieties - rather the opposite in fact and the reason I started doing that was because I cut my gum on a sharp piece of roasted skin!

12/07/2014 at 13:40

As there are only two of us, I guess more small, rather than a few large would be better. I seem to have lots of flowers on at the moment on the crown prince, so heres hoping they set.

I also planted 4 courgettes Black Forest. One eaten by slugs/snails. One not doing much. The other two producing faster than we can eat them. The Marketmore cucumbers are a bit slow so far.

email image
6 messages