London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
12/11/2012 at 17:46

I have read many articles and watched several video clips on methods of storing Dahlia Tubers each one differing in some way from the next. I would value comments on the essential points to watch out for during the overwintering process. My home is in South Bedfordshire.

Many thanks.

12/11/2012 at 17:54

This is what I do and it works for me-lift,cut stems to around 6 inches prop upside down to drain on sheets of newspaper-after about a week cover with layers of newspaper.

Mine are stored in the greenhouse -it is unheated-but losses are rare-the optimum condition is dry cool and frost-free-too warm they will dry out- too wet they will rot

On GW it was shown that storing in vermiculite was another option,dry peat is also good,just wrapping in newspaper also.

The wet and cold is the killer

12/11/2012 at 17:57
Hi Malcolm - snap! I'm having a go for the first time and would also value any tips. I grew some from seed and they were stunning (beginners luck). They've developed some huge tubers which are sitting in the greenhouse drying out. I have also left some in the ground to see if they come again. I was wondering if plants from tubers get better each year? Planting from seed was really easy. Digging up the massive tubers was hard work! If it all goes wrong I'll just grow seeds again next year.
16/11/2012 at 22:13

I have been raising and growing two varieties of Dahlia from seed over the past two years with great success. They have been grown both out in the open garden and in pots. I stored the tubers over winter in Vermiculite and replanted them in pots from which just three reshooted this summer and I must say they were both stronger growing and produced beautiful blooms from mid June right the way through till the first frosts this November - so certainly better than the year before. The others I lost to a wet spring and early summer.

This winter I, too, have many huge tubers to store and I think this time I will try  vermiculite for some and just wrapping in newspaper for the rest and see which method turns out to be the best. I have read articles where the soil is just left on the tubers and just left to dry and others where they are cleaned, washed and trimmed before storage. I would value any further tips on this issue as well.

Many thanks.    Malcolm

17/11/2012 at 11:23

I usually store mine in flexible plastic pots filled with bark. I find this is a cheaper way of storing them than using vermiculite as I have such a lot of tubers.

Like others I have left some in the ground during the last 3 winters. I cover them with at least 6inches of bark. They nearly all survived but I do find that they are slower to shoot than stored tubers.

18/11/2012 at 10:35

the stored tubers are quick off the mark because they are normally started off indoors which is a lot warmer but the ones in the ground take a bit longer for the ground to warm up before they start off, but eventually they do catch up. the problem with seeds, is u never know what colour u are going to get. the colour could be something u dont want or it might not fit in with the colour scheme of what u want to achieve.

18/11/2012 at 10:56
Dahlias do get better in second year and prob in third year as tubers are much bigger etc. Some dahlias are so vigorous that they occupy more space than I would like them to so I split these every year or two. As others have said cold wet conditions are fatal to dahlias and as long as the tubers are full and fat I wouldn't worry about them drying,out over winter. Fleece, paper, vermiculite, cardboard boxes, dry mpc anything that will protect from frost and keep them dry. Most of mine that are lifted..keep many in the ground.....are potted up using dry mpc and fleeced if very cold conditions are forecast. In spring a light spray of water and the,cycle begins again. In the ground mine are later to show signs of growth but soon catch up
18/11/2012 at 11:01
.....oh, look out for Honka. A butter yellow, simple single open splayed flower that everybody loves. Unlike most dahlias but planted with blue Veronica's, salvias, aster frikartii monch, etc it looks amazing
20/01/2013 at 21:37
Just had a peek at my stored tibers and they have a white mould on the surface. Does this mean they are goners or will thy be ok? Sould I do anything to them? Thanks
20/01/2013 at 21:47

It happens-could be just a touch of mildew-if the tuber is still solid- not mushy- they will probably be fine- start into growth in around 5/6 weeks

20/01/2013 at 21:49
Thanks sotongeoff. When would you suggest I put them back into the ground pls?
20/01/2013 at 22:17

If you are just going to plant the tubers without starting them off ffirst under cover then around mid- April at the earliest.

If they are growing plants around Mid- May- it is all about weather conditions and last frost date

20/01/2013 at 22:33
Maybe need to check mine tomorrow. Mine are in the greenhouse in a pot covered in compost. I keep them damp but nearer the drier side. Have I done the right thing? My grandpa used to grow loads but I only have a wee one. Hopin it will get better as time goes on. I saw carol takin cuttings on friday night. Is it really that easy?
21/01/2013 at 08:35
Yes Sam it is that easy but I split my tubers. Very easy on clumps 2 years or older. Just pul apart but....each tuber needs a stem.
21/01/2013 at 08:48
Really? I may be able to get more than one from mine then
21/01/2013 at 09:00

I think mine are going manky. Not sure I like dahlias enough to bother with them. Bot OTT for my style of garden.

21/01/2013 at 10:05

Sam-yes it easy to propagate dahlias-but don't do any splitting yet-wait till you start them into growth in a few weeks time so you can see where the eyes are

Same goes for cuttings-relatively easy

21/01/2013 at 10:29
Great. I wikl do. Is it stored ok in the compost then?
21/01/2013 at 10:31

Check it when you can-if it is still firm- then yes

Cold and wet will do more damage that just cold-if that makes sense?

21/01/2013 at 10:36
Yes it does. Thanks again. I will check it today
Hope your wrapped up an cosy. Snowing side ways her for about the past 6 hours now.
1 to 20 of 28 messages