Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

supermarket plants

patrick 4patrick 4 Posts: 13

Being a keen amateur gardner and when not working I study and volunteer at capel manor college enfield.I have noticed in supermarkets that plants are being left to die through  lack of watering and still up for sale. I hope as I'm getting older I'm not turning into a miserable old git. I am just very passionate about all things gardening.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I do wonder how much waste supermarkets and the Sheds cause themselves by not looking after their stock, or more probably the stock of nurseries who get a small margin out of it!

You would think that some worker would look after them but there you go.

• Yeah it's great to rescue half dead plants. last year we got a mass of bedding plants from one of the big DIY shops for less than £1.00 the manager just wanted rid! most of them did great once planted up.

And if if they are bulb plants doesn't matter if they've died when you buy them they grow back next year! image I got a great deal on a plant that had a £12 price tag and got it for £1.00 because it looked dead and lost its label! Got it home, give the bulb a new pot, and it flowered twice last year!!! image

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,538

I got two lupin from lidl yesterday for six quid , they were healthy but so pot bound that they and to be cut out, there was a centimeter of root matted together at the base of each pot!

They are much happier now I've rescued them! image they never water their cut flowers in there either! image

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I think my entire garden is from the sticky label section!

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

I always head for the reduced section, here's an azalea that Homebase were "giving away" in February - have to admit it looked sad back then but in May ....image

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

Oh by the way, I didn't get it free but it was half price.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

Funny this should crop up today. My local SM isn't usually bad, but today lots of the plants were looking very sorry for themselves. I said something to another woman and she spoke to me later - both of us had complained to separate members of staff! Perhaps if more of us did they would get the message it is bad for PR. It makes me sad and cross, when plants I can't afford to buy are thrown away for lack of water.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Our Morrisons bedders are fantastic, someone or two are there to water them they are all on damp matting, at 3.00 for 2 trays, they are very good,

just bought my daughter 12 red geraniums, big enough to plant out for 3.00, not bad at all.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.