London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
16 messages
01/10/2013 at 14:36

Hello

I have several sweetcorn plants on my allotment they are Mr Fothergills Incredible F1 variety.

They all have really large cobs on the plants but they are not turning yellow and have been like this for the last three weeks or so. I keep trying the seed inside but only a clear liquid comes out, has anybody come across this before

01/10/2013 at 23:27

When did you plant them? Have the tassels turned brown?

02/10/2013 at 13:44

The seed was planted directly into the soil in eaqly June and yes the tassles have turned very brown, Thats why i cannot understand why they have not ripened

02/10/2013 at 13:53

How many plants did you have? Did you plant them in a block or a line? It may be inadequate pollination, although unpollinated tassels tend to stay green. We have eaten all ours and cleared the land.  Try eating one?

03/10/2013 at 12:49

They were planted in a block as usual as I have grown them for many years. The cobs are very large and full but still no signs of turning yellow.

On the seed packet they are shown yellow in colour

03/10/2013 at 13:44

I'd try cooking and eating a couple if I were you 

04/10/2013 at 13:27

I am trying that today out of desperation

04/10/2013 at 15:25

I didn't grow any this year but last year I grew Rising Sun F1Hybrid - I've just found the empty seed packet - certainly when I picked and cooked them last year they were nothing like as yellow as the illustration on the packet, until they were cooked - but when the tassels were brown they were perfectly ripe. 

I found this which may be of help http://www.examiner.com/article/gardening-101-when-is-sweet-corn-ripe-and-ready-to-pick

04/10/2013 at 16:52

I planted out Marshalls bought small plants this year on my allotment, only 9 plants and they only grew to about 2ft high.  I only got about 4 cobs altogether.  Not very successful.  Any advice as I have never grown them before.

04/10/2013 at 17:00

Sweetcorn likes lots of water (although it likes the soil to be well-drained).  Even in last year's phenomonally wet summer on our free-draining sandy loam I had to have the sprinkler on our stand of sweetcorn quite frequently - I grew a block of 20 plants.

This was a very dry year.  Did you water yours enough?  They need water to grow and even more water to produce cobs.

It's worth persevering as the flavour of cobs cooked fresh from the garden is like nothing else 

04/10/2013 at 17:30

Allotment max- sweet corn are wind pollinated. They do best in a large block. I grew about 60 plants from 2 packets of seed,(Swift F1)started inside in individual pots, planted a foot apart in May in a 7 x 9 block. Even so the ones on one edge did not pollinate as well as the ones in the middle. Also as Dove says, they like a lot of water.

I don't think 9 even if you planted  them 3 x 3 , is a big enough block.

If youhave an allotment, grow a big block next year. You can't beat sweet corn that has been picked and boiled within an hour. surplus kernels can be frozen, although we ate all ours. August/September = sweet corn fest.

05/10/2013 at 12:54

Thanks for all the info folks.

I have grown sweetcorn succesfully over the last few years and this is the first time i have had a problem, anyway i have pulled 19 cobs off my plants and every one had plump kernels which were pale but ripe due to milky liquid inside so I guess its the variety as the packet shows yellow kernels.

As dovefromabove says they need and have had water every day

21/10/2013 at 20:52

Thanks for the advice. I did grow in a block of 9 as that's all I had room for this year, but have now managed to take on the plot next to mine so will have plenty of room next year. Ta x

21/10/2013 at 20:57

That's great news Max - look forward to news of your crops next year 

21/10/2013 at 21:49

I grow mine in the polytunnel - just need to give them a shake every day during flowering.  They (the plant itself) were twice the size of those grown on the plot.

21/10/2013 at 22:14

Fresh sweetcorn shouldnt be yellow. A ripe fresh sweetcorn is a pale milky colour. To rest if they are ripe use your nail to puncture one kernal, if it exudes a milky coloured liquid its ripe. Cooking turns them yellow and they colour the pics on seed pkts.

email image
16 messages