London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
11 messages
09/08/2013 at 10:46
Hi all ,im taking a chance of upsetting people here but im reading again about people getting bit by horseflies and all that stuff, last year and this year most of the allotmenteers i know have again used AVON Skin So Soft don't laugh and please don't anybody say im an agent for Avon cus i aint im just an allotmenteer who got bit very badly when i first started on the allotment and as said before many off our troops abroad use it. Im also told it now gets supplied to them for this purpose because sure as wotsits they dont need it for beauty purposes . So its cheap and works, the fact that you will smell nice and not like a citronella or lemon is a bonus,it works for us allotmenteers and their children, i promise not to mention it again this year .Alan4711 buzz buzz
09/08/2013 at 10:51

It's a well known product for hillwalkers up here Alan -keeps our ravenous Scottish midgies away so it must be good! They sell it in hotels on the long distance walks like the West Highland Way where people stop overnight. I'm lucky that they don't really bother me much even when walking in damp conditions through forest areas when they're at their worst! 

09/08/2013 at 10:58
Hi Fairy, its all ( The proof of the pudding again) same as last year and the year before all people have to do is try it and they will get an ice surprise Cheers Alan
09/08/2013 at 11:22

It worked for me when staying on the midge-infested Hebrides - and if it makes you all soft and nice to snuggle up to who's complaining 

09/08/2013 at 12:31

Hi all  My Daughter also put me on to it she is an Avon Rep!! . they are not allowed to advertise it as such because it has never been tested properly as an insect repellant . but the secrets out and so many people are reccomending it.and the reps are advised to stock up in summer. 

09/08/2013 at 14:07

We have chronic mossies at the bottom of the garden and have been using this product for years it's great and so much better than deet..never used it in Malaysia when everyone else was bitten to bits me and mrD were bite free ( mr d is a magnet to them) 

09/08/2013 at 14:15
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

It worked for me when staying on the midge-infested Hebrides - and if it makes you all soft and nice to snuggle up to who's complaining 

I'd heard someone was trying to get it marketed as insect repellant but myabe it was an urban myth!

09/08/2013 at 14:41
Hopefully people will now take notice and try it ""Avon calling"" imgon
Alan4711
09/08/2013 at 14:51

It's been known about and widely used for a few years now in horsey circles as a midge/fly repellent for horses too

09/08/2013 at 22:58

I use it to keep the midgies away, but hadn't realised that it also deters other biting flying beasties.  Thanks for that folks. 

Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Hmm, never noticed the "soft & nice to cuddle up to" effect - I wash it off asap when I get in as it's so greasy!!   It really could do with being a bit less runny - it drips everywhere & I put greasy finger marks on everything.   Still, better than bites!!

09/08/2013 at 23:07

An unexpected bonus is that it takes dried paint off your hands too.

email image
11 messages