Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Taking life for granted......

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

On top of a local guy murdered down here recently, today I learned of 2 friends, albeit not seen recently, who have been diagnosed with MS and Parkinsons respectively.  

Sometimea it hits us in life, doesn't it?, how precarious life actually is.  I find myself saying often enough that we need to take each day as it comes and to the max but how many of us actually live that way?

the guy with MS is about 45.  The guy with Parkinsons about 62 

a lady I met recently at the GC in a wheelchair because of diabetis.....her cheerfulness was humbling.  She really does live for a day at a time. 

• Count our blessings and never live by If Only s . And a dear friends motto  "There are no pockets in a shroud " 

But not lets go to bed on deep thoughts image  I'm listening to the radio and the programme is playing music celebrating the autumn  

. I went to my little grandsons harvest festival assembly and the little ones singing at the top of their little voices praising the season was uplifting . A young mum with a pupil in the reception year ,and a toddler ,  with another in a pushchair has had a stroke but she looked so proud of her youngster image . Puts our moans and groans into perspectiveimage 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

I learnt long ago that life's a journey, not a destination - it's up to us what we do with each day and nothing is ever 'fair'. 

Help others, do as you would be done by, and keep your glass half full image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

As they say "Life's a b**ch, and then you die".  My best mate died at the age of 42, and it was a long, slow, unstoppable decline as there was no effective treatment for the condition he developed.  It certainly makes you re-evaluate things.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Life is precious and we should treasure each day.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

life is not a dress rehearsal. This is it. Make the most of it.

My sister died at 34, my brother at 47, another brother died 4 days old, ( 2 years before I was born) my father died when I was 12 , my mother when I was 29. My nephew died at 13.

Make the most of it guys , and never , ever stop telling folk you love them.

Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

Yeah, you never know what tomorrow will bring, but you can't live as if today is the last day either.  It's a difficult balance to get right.  My brother died a month short of his 65th birthday, my father 4 months after his - I'm 65 next March!

I'm told I'm more like my mothers side of the family and my mother and grandmother lived to 86.  I'm gonna stay positive and work on the basis that if I'm wrong I'll never know anywayimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sorry to hear of all your sad losses esp. Hosta you've certainly had more than a fair share of them and at such young ages. My most upsetting loss was of my beloved mum, despite it being nearly 10yrs ago it still feels raw and as if it was yesterday. I think it feels worse because it was so sudden and unexpected, sad for us but a blessing for her as she never got to know that she had cancer and went peacefully in her sleep with all of us holding her hands.