London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
5 messages
12/07/2012 at 19:29
I was quite excited at the prospect of some new exotic plants then huge let down when I saw what you were reccomending, I grow more exotic than this already including curry leaf trees (indoors) ginseng and Orchids in my conservatory
13/07/2012 at 13:35
Can anyone recommend some houseplants I can try? I have a conservatory which has full sun all day in the summer and is heated in the winter. I currently grow the usual such as aloes, mother in laws tongue, Christmas cactus, various succulents, pitcher plants, and at the moment chillis and peppers but want something with a bit more'wow' factor with regard to flowers etc. I have lots of wide windowsill space but not too much floorspace for large plants such as palms or vines. I have found that it is far too hot and sunny for plants such as orchids or other houseplants who prefer to be out of direct sunlight

I also have an issue with red spider mite. Can this be reduced by misting and perhaps keeping a bowl of water to increase humidity? Any advice greatfully received.
13/07/2012 at 16:21

Hello SFord,

Red spider mite can be a real problem in a hot conservatory. Have a look at our advice on how to deal with it. Do raise the humidity as you suggest. This should help, but I've know it to live quite well in humid places as well as dry ones. You can spray your plants with SB invigorator as recommended in adam's latest blog. That keeps them at bay. Also try giving the conservatory a top-to-toe clean out every winter.

As for plants, bougainvillea should suit your conservatory.

Good luck,

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

17/07/2012 at 11:18
Thanks for the advice Emma - will do
16/10/2012 at 16:10
well I am glad I read about two of these extoic plants as I have just bought 2.they look good how long they will last I am not sure.
email image
5 messages