London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
8 messages
24/10/2008 at 14:27
I have a mature stand of turkey oaks across the road from my front garden, and at the back of our houses the gardens converge to form a large shrubby & grassed area. This is excellent acorn-burying territory, and the two pairs of resident jays are constantly flying to & from the oaks all day long. I've been bombed twice in the garden in the last three days, as an over-ambitious jay has lost its grip on the last of its booty held in its beak. The random scattering of acorns across the surface of the lawn suggest that this is not uncommon!
24/10/2008 at 15:40
Lovely to read about these birds, as they tend to occur this far north.
25/10/2008 at 08:06
Yesterday morning I witnessed 4 "shrieker in the woods",probably parents and their 2 offspring.There seems to be more Jays around this year.This was in a small wood near my home in Bournemouth
25/10/2008 at 20:48
Jays always seem to appear at this time of the year, despite being around all year really. I had them in the garden this morning and they are very pretty. I am not sure that the other birds here are as keen on them as I am though!
04/11/2008 at 19:35
I was thrilled to have a pair of jays frequenting my Lancashire garden I have only ever seen them in our local Towneley park .They entertain me searching out monkey nuts and loose peanuts hidden in peeling tree bark and other nooks and crannies that usually only the squirrels know about !
10/11/2008 at 14:20
This year i grew food to encourage birds on to my new alltoment plants like sunflowers and honesty realy attracted a large selection from great tits to very large magpies this success has encouraged me to read more information to attract a more diverse wild life can anybody suggest plants that are easy to grow and search in any local garden centre
03/11/2009 at 18:21
this morning I was able to watch an adult grey heron accompanied by a juvenile sitting on my neighbours roof gazing longingly into his gold fish pond.It is not uncommon to see single grey herons in this area but this is the first time I have seen two together.A wonderful sight. shearer Lincs
28/11/2011 at 18:37
I have a brace of Jays keeping very busy in my back garden,and of late lots of green parrots on my bird feeders. I had the pleasure of a nuthatch on mon/tue,as well as loads of other regulars. Doves,robins,longtailed tits,to name a few. Total pleasure.
email image
8 messages