London (change)
Thu 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
13 messages
08/12/2008 at 15:35
Any information on Achimene plant would be most welcome. Is it right that it should be left to dry out completely after flowering and that the rhizomes must be kept in a cool dry place till the following February befor replanting?.
13/09/2009 at 12:22
can someone help me please, I would like to buy Achimenes plant, where can I get one? Any help much appreciated
29/03/2010 at 08:44
can anyone tell me where to get achimenes in australia
28/11/2011 at 18:31
Saw these plants for the First time last night at the AGM of our gardening club and am desperate to start my own collection as I think they are wonderful
04/11/2012 at 19:29
Is there anything special I should do with this plant in the0 winter? Last year, on the advice of a friend, I put it in the shed all winter! When I removed it looked dead but I persevered and picked all the dead flowers and leaves off. This year, with lots of tender loving care from myself, its bigger than ever and I've had to buy a new pot about 2' across. Its still flowering in the conservatory and it seems a shame to put it in the shed. Please help!
04/11/2012 at 19:55

I used to have an Achimenes years ago . Lovely plant but I put several rhizomes together to make it bushier. They are quite easy to grow but do need a period of dormancy. They usually start wilting Nov - Dec and that is the time you should stop watering them. When the plant has died down you can either leave it in its pot somewhere cool or lift the rhizomes and store them somewhere. I just used to leave mine in the pot and then about March start watering them .  Make sure the water is tepid and not too cold and they will soon spring into life. Feed every couple of weeks when growth starts and I used to pinch mine out. Word of warning though - they don't like to be moved , especially when they are ready to flower. I moved house with mine and I'm convinced that's why it died .

Sorry, David but I've no idea where to buy one in Oz but am sure Mr. Google will help you out.

Thanks to everyone for reminding me about Achimenes - I feel the need to track them down now.

04/11/2012 at 20:23

I bought my Achimenes from Dibleys Nursery

Pam LL x

04/11/2012 at 20:30

Thanks Pam  I've just found this link with pictures. Prices look good but the nursery is in Scotland.

http://himalayangardens.com/hybrids-Achimenes-flower-supplier-UK.html

04/11/2012 at 20:38

Jean - I clicked on the link and a message Dangerous page came up

Pam LL x

04/11/2012 at 20:47

Strange. I got a warning to say something had been blocked but I've just been back on it ??? wonder what thats all about ?

04/11/2012 at 21:11

It maybe site that has been reported for insecure payments or something like that- unless they sell cannabis plants

05/11/2012 at 07:59

Hope I haven't caused anyone any trouble by posting that link  Might be best to leave well alone. Pity. They had some nice looking plants on there.

05/11/2012 at 12:41

Don't worry about it Jean  I was just disappointed that I couldn't see the plants

Dibleys don't seem to have many on their website at the moment but I expect there will be more in their  2013 catalogue

Pam LL x

email image
13 messages