London (change)
Thu 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 5°C
10 messages
31/05/2012 at 20:30
My daughter adopted some hens too. They had a great life with the other hens and laid eggs too. Probably grateful.
A really satisfying thing to do. Poor chucks need all the help they can get, after the life they had.
31/05/2012 at 22:11

I've had my ex-batts since last August. It didn't take long for them to learn to be proper chickens. They're funny and curious and seem to love life - especially when free-ranging in the garden (which is wrecked!). Bless them, they give me an average of three eggs a day between the four of them. Definitely very satisfying.

31/05/2012 at 23:25
My chickens live by the three rules of E - if it's green, we can eat it; if we can't eat it we can excavate it; and if she's stupid enough to put it in a pot we can empty it! Depending on the weather I now have a dust bowl or mud bath - but 5 happy chickens, 3 of which are ex-batts. It was lovely seeing them discover the world and learning about sun, rain and the joys of dust bathing. And eating anything green...
01/06/2012 at 20:31

Flowerpot Liz, I love your three rules of E, I'd like to adopt them if it's all right with you. I have to say that the girls have saved me bothering with the lawnmower this year - not that I ever had a 'lawn' but there were two green areas that had grass and assorted greenery. Not any longer, though!

02/06/2012 at 19:03
That is wonderful! I'm thinking to do the same. Congratulations.
08/06/2012 at 15:18
There is something almost magical about adopting hens from batteries. We collected 6 poor, nude & frightened birds from a farmer thereby saving them from an early death. When we got them home we put them in a quiet shed with natural light. At first they stood looking round, silent & afraid to move. After a couple of days we left the door open and they carefully came outside making lovely quiet sounds. in a few weeks their feathers had grown and they were clucking, scratching up grubs & laying eggs. The drawback was that they were in love with us and came running up whenever we appeared. If we sat down on the grass they sat with us (and on us) no peace for the wicked! What a joy they are. [Flora May].
08/06/2012 at 17:04

The transformation is wonderful.
Oven ready

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8514.jpg?width=717&height=350&mode=max

Learning to be a chicken

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8515.jpg?width=476&height=350&mode=max

Finally ~ Powder-puff bottoms!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8516.jpg?width=465&height=350&mode=max

These are three of my four girls. Aggie, Maggie, Lizzie and Rose.  What have you called yours, FloraMay?

09/06/2012 at 10:05

I just love your pictures Flobear, my hens are called Blackie, Flossie, Polo, Mary-hen, Sophie and Puff. We have a big garden and they have the run of it during the day. We have to shut them in a run when we go out as there are lots of foxes round here. I would love to be able to afford an Egloo for them!

09/06/2012 at 12:11

How much room do they need?  I have a very small garden, I'd love to adopt some battery girls, but don't know the first thing about chickens.  Also, can they co-exist peacefully with a Dog?  I used to have an African Grey parrot, and that was OK with the dog (it used to tell it off), and once the dog learnt that if he stuck his nose too near the parrot, it would get a sharp peck - will battery girls stand up for themselves, or will I have to be around to protect them?

09/06/2012 at 21:42

Lovely names, FloraMay. I always shut mine in the run when I go out though I do realise that a fox could come in when I'm at home. I have a Doodlehouse for my girls which I think is a brilliant design. Mine's plain white but I have plans to decorate.

Julie, they need as much room as you can let them have. If they are in too small a run they can't get away from each other and bullying tends to happen. My run is about 8 by 5 feet but they are out free-ranging for at least a couple of hours per day. Trouble is they trash the garden. The question of dogs - it depends on the dog. I have to keep my two youngsters away as they will chase and catch the hens. A parrot has the option of flying, though I don't let my dogs near the parrot either as she's quite small.

email image
10 messages