London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
10 messages
13/02/2009 at 20:00
Butternut squash have never done well on my allotment, so I tried one called Cobnut last year.It gave a really good crop; slightly fatter shape--more flesh less seedy bit. Kept quite well too.
14/02/2009 at 16:39
Both my mimosa trees are shedding their leaves down to bare branches, and look terrible, do you know if this is just a cold winter shed, or have I lost them, been in same position 6 years and never had this before, any answers please?
16/02/2009 at 14:45
I bought a new mimosa in the summer of 2006, last years winter did the same to mine as yours, and I had protected it as much as I could with fleece, it did sprout from the bottom again,late last spring, but we have had harder frosts and snow this year and I did not get to protect it this winter, and the same has happened, so like you I am hoping I have not lost it altogether.
25/02/2009 at 16:50
im going to be growing veg etc for the first time my raised beds are fertilized and turned over ready has anyone any advice on what is best for a newcomer to grow and advice on timing of planting thankyou
27/02/2009 at 08:36
When deciding what to grow, think about what you like best, then have a look at other plots to see what does well. Talk to plotholders. Have a go. What works one year may not the next, but unpredictability is part of the fun. For planting times, send for a kitchen garden catalogue from Dobies. This has a handy chart with sowing & planting times. Good luck!
01/03/2009 at 22:35
Butternut squashes are one of my favourites, good to eat especially roast and easy to grow, but I would never, ever, not grow courgettes which are so productive and versatile in the kitchen. Rocket is always difficult because it is so attractive to flea beetle. What is this fashion for "raised beds" about? Several allotment holders on our site are doing it using six inch wide gravel boards. This is just a waste of timber and the antithesis of "green" gardening. For me a raised bed is at least two ft high, to be convenient for gardeners in wheelchairs.
02/03/2009 at 14:29
We took over an allotment last year which was in a terrible state. We decided to use raised beds as a family with young children we can never guarantee how much time we can devote to it and the conventional plots can soon get out of hand. They have been brilliant so far, we can work on them in wet weather without worrying about compacting the soil (which by the way is warming up nicely already) however we have left a quarter of the plot without beds for potatoes. Hopefully our initial outlay will have been well worth it.
12/05/2010 at 13:22
i would love to grow butternut squash, but don,t know how please help
07/06/2010 at 19:01
hi i'm growing my butternut squash as a climber in a large pot just wondering does anyone know if you can underplant with spring onions or should i just stick with salad leaves
28/11/2011 at 18:37
I HAVE A SMALL POND,LAST SUMMER I HAD ONE NEWT IN IT ALL SUMMER.WILL IT COME BACK THIS YEAR.I HAVE LOADS OF FROGS AND TOADS,WILL THEY PUT THE NEWT OFF COMING BACK,ALSO WHEN WOULD I EXPECT TO SEE THE NEWT THIS YEAR.I THINK ITS A PALMATE NEWT.HOW LONG BEFORE MORE NEWTS ARRIVE....DO I HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO ENCOURAGE IT BACK.
email image
10 messages