Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Alpine strawberries

Are these the same as wild strawberries. I was recommended to grow these so i ordered some seed online late february. They grow slowly once germingated, but are coming on now and i think they are ready to plant out in a few weeks time. Can't wait for my first harvest. But with my newly planted garden strawberries i pinched out the flowers last year and now they are full of flowers, should i do that with the wild ones aswell.

• Wild or woodland strawberries are the same as alpine strawberries, though the named cultivars above have bigger fruit than the ones you see growing wild.
    I don't pinch the flowers out, though if you have quite a few plants it would make an interesting experiment to do so on a few of them to observe what happens.
  • Judging from the weather forecast, alpine strawberries might be the only fruits worth growing. Shame there are no alpine tomatoes.
  • In my former, old established, cottage garden, I had wild strawbs everywhere. Although many were only pea-sized, they had a delightful cologne flavour,great for topping posh desserts, or just nibbling when lying in the grass. Anyone have an idea how to get wild ones back into my new garden? I miss the little darlings.
  • potagergirl- you can buy the seeds now and sow them. They will take about a month to germinate but you will be able to plant them out in the summer and leave them to do their thing. They will soon find their preferred habitat.
  • Thank you very much happymarion. I look forward to welcoming back these old friends. Yummy!
  • SLUGS....I stood the shortened stalks and heads of last years hydrangea blooms in beside half of runner bean seeds before they broke through the soil. So far I have had no slug damage to those plants , those seeds that were protected by sweet juice and/or slug pellets, have all been nipped off before they reached an inch tall.
  • Please can anyone help. Three years ago I planted a Victoria plum. It bore fruit in its first year but nothing since. No sign of any blossom. We also have apples and cherries which are fruiting well.There are other plums in the area.
  • DK- have a look in the victoria plum section, you may get some joy there... This thread is about alpine/wild strawberrys...
  • I had two lovely alpine strawberry plants, well that was until this week. Something has munched all the leaves! I have down slug pellets but that did not stop the feast. Can I save the plants?
  • Wild strawberries grow on the Mendips and in most of the gardens in Bristol given half a chance. They are one of the most delightful weeds to have and fruit prolifically but the fruit is only half the size of the true alpine strawberry which itself is small compared to the cultivated variety. I agree, Pippa, it is a fine plant for a rockery - neat and bushy and fruiting for a long time.