London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
15 messages
27/09/2007 at 12:34
I share your hate of Bizzie Lizzies, but everyone to their taste.

Agree with bedding plants in swathes, as opposed to regimental lines. Enjoy mixing my bedding plants to give added colour, and variety.

27/09/2007 at 23:15
Taste? What a cheek! Stop dissing those lovely flowers dude!
28/09/2007 at 10:33
have you visited the botanical gardens in edinburgh lately? wow!
28/09/2007 at 13:23
I have hanging baskets and planters because I can't get "down and dirty" any more due to arthritis. At least I can get down, but getting up again is a totally different matter. The borders now do their own thing. The orange double daylilies, once occupying a corner of one bed, have multiplied and taken over half the bed. The daffodils come up in spring, and once finished the daylilies start to re-emerge. I weed that part then forget about it for the rest of the year until they die back. Weeds don't stand a chance against those flowerbed thugs. A quick hoeing over the top when they die down, and I can forget about it. This end has forsythias underplanted with cyclamens and miniature bulbs. They've been there for 40 years, and one has died, so I am going to cut them down, and fill the border up with other weed suppressing stuff. The border the other side is filled with flowering shrubs which have intermingled making a dense hedge. The birds love it, and weeding is minimal. The top corner has a huge Lavatera. It fell over last year under the weight of the flowers. I asked my grandson to stand it up and stake it again, but he forgot. I thought it would die, but it filled the corner up with purple blooms over 8 feet high, and with a spread of about 7 feet. There is no way it can fall down any lower so I am leaving it there. The tubs and planters mean I can have flowers and weed them with ease. My vegetables are in raised beds too, so I can still grow my own. I haven't the strength to dig the garden. 40+ years of digging in compost, straw,manure etc. has made no difference. It still goes from baked brick to a swamp in a matter of hours. Dig down 2 feet and you hit yellow clay. Ugh!
28/09/2007 at 14:31
I've had a lovely display of summer bedding plants this year but does anyone know if I can compost them. Will the seeds they've produced just rot down, or will they germinate once the compost is used in my garden?
28/09/2007 at 17:25
I have 16 baskets full of Bizzie Lizzies still in bloom, truely a beautiful picture.
29/09/2007 at 14:40
bizzie lizzies have their place I have two hanging baskets and they are beautiful give a lovely cheerful approach to my home with their blossoms hanging down so extravagantly.
30/09/2007 at 00:47
bizzie lizzie's good shade plants try white ones with trailing pelegoniums and mixed blue/white lobelia in hanging baskets, brighten up that shady corner also good in tubs!!
01/10/2007 at 12:20
Ah, but aren't the borders outside the Tate by a german lady?!!
03/10/2007 at 13:19
What a lot of Bizzie-Lizzie lovers there are out there. I see the point of them (especially white ones in shade as Valylily says) but still cannot get over my personal dislike (maybe that is too strong a word - indifference is better). There are lots of plants that will do the job better - the best place for shade/woodland plants is Crug Farm Nurseries in North Wales. An absolutely earth shattering range of plants many of which have been collected in the wild. Borders at the Tate are indeed not bad but a bit flat (I don't know who designed them - could be a German or it could be that the Garden Monkey is stirring things up!). Have not been to Edinburgh Botanic Gardens for years and cannot find a good picture but, being Scottish, they are probably lovely! Is that all we can come up with? Beryl seems to have got easy gardening pretty well sorted - although you do have a lot of yellow in your garden (daffs,daylilies and Forsythia - the Lavatera must come as a welcome relief.)
03/10/2007 at 18:04
Bizzzies are ideal for plonking into a container then enjoying-trouble free until zapped by the frost. I think we should be respectful of each others' tastes,there are no 'right' or 'wrong' types of plants to grow, there's room for all comers in our gardens, that's what makes us a nation of gardeners.
06/10/2007 at 07:51
Stirring things up James? Moi? Now who's being a cheeky monkey. The borders at Tate Britain are by Brita von Schoenaich.
09/10/2007 at 15:18
It is not just in the Jardins de Luxemburg that innovating planting can be seen. I have just come back from Kew to (to see the wonderful Moores) and I was thrilled by the vegetable and herb plantings outside the Palm house. What an improvement on the usual bedding. The temptation to pick some of the peppers, especially the black ones, was only just resisted and I am definitely going to grow some of the exotic aubergines I saw in the containers around the lake. I hope more parks and garden will be equally adventurous in their bedding displays next year.
15/10/2007 at 16:20
Following an article in GW earlier in the year I planted a pot with suggested plants one being Salvia 'Mystic Spires' What a wonderful plant this is. It is still blooming. Wanting to know more about it I went into your plant search but not one Salvia came up in the name of 'Mystic Spires'. How can I find out more?
28/11/2011 at 18:29
The displays outside Tate Britain are a good example of 'us' getting bedding right...
email image
15 messages