London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
21 to 40 of 63 messages
    01/03/2012 at 15:45

Hello karenlincoln,

In order to make good compost you need moisture in the bin. Have a look at Chris Beardshaw's video where he talks about layering wet materials with dry materials. It sounds as though your compost hasn't decomposed enough yet to be used as a mulch. Putting unrotted material on beds can actually harm plants. If you have a lawn, the best thing to do would be to layer wet grass clippings with the dry, half-rotted compost. Then it will all rot down well together. You may need to buy/make a second compost bin so that you can do this more easily. If you're not going to be collecting grass clippings, keep watering your compost. It will eventually rot down. Give it a really good soak as it can be hard to make water penetrate a really dry bin. If you can, move it to a shady area, so it doesn't dry out in the sun. When the bin is cooler and moister, it won't attract the ants.

Good luck!

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

08/04/2012 at 17:33
we are suffering from wickedly vicious biting red ants in the garden, my granchilren are unable to play outdoors without being attacked and my husband seems to be getting stronger and stronger reactions. urgent help ...............please
14/04/2012 at 17:03

Just found yellow ants in my grape vine, tried the onion thing - hopefully this will do the job

15/04/2012 at 14:10

Ants like dry ground, hence you find them under paving slabs and find them in clay if it is dry. Solution is to keep it wet.

24/04/2012 at 10:05

Sybille, how did you apply the baking powder?  Dry?  

01/05/2012 at 21:05

do you use neat vinegar to get rid of ants in greenhouse and will it damage the soil or growing grops

01/05/2012 at 21:33

clairybelle i like the vinegar idea do you dilute it and will i damage the plants growing near

01/05/2012 at 22:53

I am definitely going to try the sliced onion idea.  I am plagued with ants in the garden every summer, although luckily none come in the house.  I hate them almost as much as I hate slugs.  The black ones are a nuisance and the red ones are worse. 

I remember once seeing a blackbird sitting on my garden path picking up ants with its beak and dropping them on its wings.  He spread his wings out on the path as if he was encouraging the ants to bite them.  I wondered if there was something in formic acid which kills mites in their feathers?

02/05/2012 at 19:56
I have recently moved to this bungalow, but the lawn is very lumpy and difficult to mow. How can I defeat the ants?

Dennis, Leighton Buzzard
02/05/2012 at 20:39

does salt work

10/05/2012 at 20:04

Not sure about ants liking dry conditions...my lawn is covered in colonies of red ants & we've had near constant rain for about 4 weeks (and yes, we do still have a drought??)

Will definately try the vinegar as my daughter loves to play on the lawn & we have 2 minature long haired Dachshunds...consquently, their bellies are very near the ground!!!

Paul, Wisbech, Cambs

23/05/2012 at 00:08

Put some sand in bowl...and pour red rum, about a double measure, in the middle. The ants enter, consume the rum, get violent and start throwing rocks at each other.

23/05/2012 at 09:45

Sybille suggested bicarbonate of soda. My daughter heard that if you mix it with icing sugar the ants take that back to the nest and it kills them. I tried it in the conservatory and it seems to have worked, just the occasional ant now.

23/05/2012 at 09:47

Like dodd's idea but ants with hangovers

31/05/2012 at 10:07

We have a concrete planter on our balcony and up until earlier this month I had never seen a single ant and now we seem to be infested with them.   I'm going to try the onion and polenta treatments and see how we get on.  I'm wondering if the ants are responsible for the death of two lavender plants.  Can ants kill plants?

01/07/2012 at 12:22
How can I get rid of ant that have invaded my compost bin please?
01/07/2012 at 12:23
How do I get rid of ants that have invaded my compost bin please.
01/07/2012 at 12:26

Ants in a compost bin is usually a sign it is too dry-give it a good drenching and they will go elsewhere

12/08/2012 at 10:57

I have many colonies of red + flying Ants in my lawn...It is driving me mad!
How do I get rid of them please?....I have sandy soil & my small lawn is treated regularly by a well known Lawn treatment company!
I have tried Nipon, but to date, no joy!

12/08/2012 at 12:16

My grand daughter loved the red rum joke. She read it to her grand dad.

21 to 40 of 63 messages