London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
41 to 60 of 63 messages
12/08/2012 at 21:50

I also love the red rum joke.  I personally do not see the massive issue with Ants.  I too have had a lot of them outside, red and black.  I just give pots a good soaking a few times at first and then a few more over for a couple of days that gets rid of them.  Red ants aren't an issue, the best thing to do is not disturb the nest and they wont disturb you.

After researching Ants in the lawn and borders, it is very difficult to get rid of them

12/08/2012 at 21:52

Also,  Ants are amazing insects

12/08/2012 at 22:07

I struggle too with the issue of ants. I have seen loads in the garden this year both red & black, they don't bother me. I don't seem them as pests, as from what I see they don't harm any plants and I'm sure they have their  beneficial place in the garden's ecosystem.

13/08/2012 at 16:26

I had a pair of green woodpeckers who kept my grass clear of ants for years, but since my neighbours have built over their entire garden I have not seen them.  Anyone any idea how to attract them back again?

A couple of kettles full of boiling water poured directly onto the ants nests in the compost bin worked well - but don't try it on the lawn or near plants as it will kill those too!

13/08/2012 at 16:44

I watched an ant drag what looked like a bit of dead ant in the garden the other day-it found it hard going but even if it "dropped" it -it went back for another go-they must have tiny brains but this one was determined to complete its mission-where it was going with its prize or what it was going to do with it I have no idea-but it passed 5 minutes watching -I am a simple soul sometimes

14/08/2012 at 13:55

Thank you All for your Ant tips. We now trying the Cornflour trick let you know if the little blighters go. They are at present under a pond liner that we are trying to renew.  My husband have been bitten twice and needed antibiotics each time.  So be warned.

14/08/2012 at 20:29

Ants can kill plants by building their nests around the roots, which stops the roots getting any water and consequently killing them.  They can certainly kill plants in pot much more quickly than if they were in the soil because the plant cannot divert its roots to another spot.

On the whole I don't understand why gardeners (and birdlovers for that matter) regard such things as ants, wasps, rabbits, squirrels as pests and thieves!  They are creatures thave a right to live, and they make their living from the earth and the plants which grow on it (as the birds do) How are they to know that some of them we planted?

Even the birds get called thieves when they have a couple of "our" fruits!

14/08/2012 at 22:05

I have had fruit taken from our trees by birds.  Im happy to share fruit and nuts with the birds and squirrels but the ants this year are a bit abnormal to past years.  I have had several mounds in the ground which i have left untouched.  The pond liner underneath seem to be a chosen spot and although Im happy to let them roam they do not want us near them.  The ants made a mad dash up my husbands legs arms and were on his hat in no time at all.  The bites Caused his hand and legs to swell..We spent 3.5 hours in A & E on the sunday for antibiotics. 

15/08/2012 at 03:20

Ging2

I have never heard of such a thing (not that I don't believe you) I think my attitude would be a bit different if I'd suffered that reaction.  Could it be that the weather has affected them in some way - are all the problem areas where it has been in drought? We have had a "summer" of almost continuous rain in the west and I imagine the ants have been drowned!

15/08/2012 at 07:41

We started the summer with a hosepipe ban but then within weeks the heavens opened.  It maybe these conditions that have caused the amount of nests we have in our garden ,,, See how next year go,  Its  not every year you renew a pond liner thank goodness,, at present its half completed,  We dont want another journey to the doctors or hospital, 

16/08/2012 at 21:46

Tried the cornflour there seem to be less ants ... but alot still moving around .. How long do it normally take?  Anyone know

16/08/2012 at 21:57

The ants that I have don't kill any of my plants.

16/08/2012 at 23:28
Ants can do damage if they make their nests under plants causing roots to dry out. They will be swarming soon and then disappear
12/10/2012 at 10:05

Ants and worms will undermine paving if it has not been laid on a bed of mortar the dab it method creates an ideal environment. They can lift up slabs and destroy crazy paving but there will not be large voids underneath.

12/10/2012 at 11:36
About a month or so ago I used nematodes,on friends lawn. It controlled ants on surface very well. Last week I decided to level the areas by digging up the nest areas and removing some of the soil. I was surprised to find ants nests deep down. Next year I will use nematodes in spring and feel it will work
12/10/2012 at 17:20

Hello  we to have suffered ants in the house and on the allotment, I dont understand them though !  they only seem to come out at night and into the food cupboard but dont seem to know what they want ? they dont get on any thing that one would think that they would go for and they are rather switched on as when we open the door they run like mad, my wife was told that black pepper will sort them out and so we put it where they come from and it did the trick, but they find another way to get around it,

Jim

12/10/2012 at 18:47
Early one morning a few years ago I was taken aback.....taken aback I tell you....by massive column of ants in kitchen. On door and cupboard. On checking they were after a tin of treacle which had lid not fully tight. I used ant spray,on suspect access points....and threw out treacle...and problem resolved.
12/10/2012 at 22:59

when we moved into this house 10 years ago .we found the garden was infested with ants. ants ants every where.it's a big job keeping them out of my pots. i look under them every few days.i have sort of got on top of them just by looking for the nest and get rid all the compost if in the pots.or just kill every one i find.but am going to try some of everyone's idea's. sick of ants not been to bad this year.

22/10/2012 at 14:25
I have always followed my Grandmothers ideas and they usually work very well. Boiling water, not just one kettle full but three or four, more if necessary then add a large dose of salt. You may have to do it every two or three years so watch the same spots and you lift a weed and any ants come up put the kettle on quick. I once unearthed a nest of flying ants in a Dutch wall. It took six or more doses of boiling water to eliminate them, but it was four years before I saw another ant anywhere near that spot again. It didn't kill any of the plants or bulbs.
27/05/2013 at 08:00
i have a very large infestation of yellow ants in my lawn, it says on here that they are not really a threat, but they are definitely a big problem and nuisance for me. What is the best way to get rid of them as i want
to grow vegetables close to where the infestation is. We have a cat, so, i dont really want to use pestersides, i have tried to use boiling hot water, but fear there are too many for that approach, any advice would be really helpful.
41 to 60 of 63 messages