Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Ants

those red ants are evil , when they get you, they really sting. I have colonies all over my garden, black near the house and red from half way down the garden, I don't know why they like my heavy clay so much, they must have to work even harder, wish they would do more sifting for me and save me the trouble. on the whole I don't mind them but in the pots they are a bit of a problem.

• Ground cinnamon. Did wonders in my Mum's garden!
  • is it correct to treat rust on hollyhocks with epsom sallts
  • I have lots of ant colonies under crazy paved car parking space. It seems to me that they displace the sand and mortar and I wonder if there are great spaces underneath my drive which will collapse eventually - any comments on this?
  • I have been told that Ivy attracts ants,espcially red ants and that Penny Royal is a good deterant??
  • I have millions of ants both outside and inside. they undermine my veg garden and Inside i have slight succes by using lavender oil in the floor wash. In the garden only by knocking out an entire nest do I advance a little.
    I use only organics and find Tansy hasnt helped much, they actually infest the plant! Would like to know from Poodiecat how cinnamon was applied...sounds expensive tho. The old sugar/boracic trick works but encourages them to come and stay around for the sugar.
  • DorriDorri Posts: 1
    I read somewhere else online that clove oil in water has the effect of sending them flying! I don't know if this works but Im enjoying a new garden, apart from what are obviously red ants. Ouch!

If I plant runner beans in the same bed, will they do any damage other than to me?
  • I have been reading a book about the many uses of vinegar, and one of them was to get rid of ants. We tried it in the house last year, putting it down cracks where we had seen them, and putting it all around the outside of the house - and it worked!
    No ants in the house since, and we have done it all again this time.
    However, we are having a lot of trouble in the greenhouse, so have tried it in there. No ants up to present, but watch this space!
  • is there an ant killer that i can add to the water when im watering the garden ? or can you advise on the best way of dealing with ants ?
  • Hi all, getting really into my garden this year.
    Found an ants nest did the clove oil thing didn't see any flying.
    They were still there next although not as many.
    Got ant bait traps from b&q. Everytime i go out to have a look there's only just a couple. When i really drench the area they disappear for ages
  • Apparently if you put down ground pollenta the ants will take this back to the nest and the queen ant will eat it, it is not digestible for ants and she will explode (doesn't sound very nice, I know). Ants have a short life span and of course without the queen there will be no more eggs so this will get rid of them...plus you'll only be killing one ant per nest, in fact the other ants will be doing it as they will be taking her the food ;)