London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
21 to 39 of 39 messages
25/04/2012 at 13:54
I may try the Rhubarb leaf idea, however am i right in thinking that Rhubarb leaf contains Arsenic or is this an old wives tale???

If i am right, what are the chances of the arsenic being absorbed into the produce????

TDP
25/04/2012 at 14:09

It is not arsenic but oxalic acid- however do not spray on edible crops

here is a link to the recipe

http://www.rhubarb-central.com/organic-pesticides.html

27/04/2012 at 00:58
"GM wheat that wards off aphids trialled in UK.Peppermint gene inserted into the DNA of wheat strain in attempt to produce crop that emits pheromone odour signals."

I am against GM modifications but how about just spraying soapy water with peppermint oil in it on your aphid infested plant.

27/04/2012 at 11:52

Thanks sotongeoff........  the link is really useful.  much appreciated. :O)

TDP

30/04/2012 at 14:24
i have a huge problem every year with whitefly on all brassica crops in the garden. Please can anyone help?
10/05/2012 at 18:36

John from London.

Hello Nana3 - Try planting a few French Marigolds around your crops in the garden.

I always use them near my tomato plants (I only have room for four) in my small garden plus a few more veg. in other available areas.

and have never experienced any problems.

"Good Luck."

13/05/2012 at 12:38
I think I have black fly on one of my large bushes, I am new to gardening and am not sure what to do. they seam to be only on one plant but have taken over. do I cut right back or spray them with something, please help Donna
19/05/2012 at 23:10

what i use on greenfly in the garden is 2 or 3 garlic bulb's that i break away the cloves and put in a small pot cover with water put it on to boil until the cloves are soft take off the heat, when cold put all into a 2lt bottle with table spoon of washing up liquid and top up the bottle up with water ...... if you can leave it for as long as you can the smell gets more intense, then use it under and over leaves where the greenfly are.

i have never heard of using rhubarb leaves but i wonder if i put the rhubarb and garlic in a pot with some wash up liquid when cold and use that on the greenfly i wonder what would happen ......... i must try it    

21/05/2012 at 13:04

<span style="font-size: small;"><span style="color: #000000;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Hi , Im new to fruit/veg gardening (though have kept house plants successfully for years) and I keep finding small white insects on my herbs that I am growing indoors.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  I don’t know what they are and Im worried they are going to infect the tomatoes and cucumber that I growing as well as infecting my other non edible houseplants.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  Iv had bugs on houseplants before and used a spray and have bought a bug killer that says its ok to use on edible plants (its absorbed into the plant) but Im a bit worried about spraying my basil and coriander and then eating the herbs.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  I have bought herbs from the supermarket previously and had the same problem so Im not sure where they are coming from but they don’t seem to be eating the leaves so must be sap sucking (having read upon some of the aphids) Can anyone tell me what this bug might be and how to get rid of it and protect against it in future as they seem to take hold quickly.

14/06/2012 at 20:13
What a terrific way to use otherwise poisonous rhubarb leaves!
Thanks, people - it was the question that foxed all the local gardeners' group and our experts at Tuesday's "GQT" session.
22/06/2012 at 19:54

Argh! I've just found a load of aphids on my chillies in the greenhouse.  I've taken them out, squished as many as I could find and given them a couple of soapy water sprays as well as spraying the other greenhouse plants.

I think I'll leave the plants outside for a few days, we're due some more heavy rain which might wash any that I missed off the plants.  I hope it doesn't get too chilly for them.  

20/03/2013 at 03:42
I have always had great luck geting rid of aphids using ladybugs i bought, or just lemon dish soap in water n a spray bottle.. always works for me. Good Luck with your problem, hope I was helpful. Stephanie @ ravens gardens
11/05/2013 at 09:23
It's really difficult to get the right balance, trying to be chemical free but when the aphids have taken over everything, my patience is starting to wane and I am tempted to go down the Chemical Warfare Road, however, I may have a solution, which may be a blessing for me and a pain for the Aphids. My next plan of attack is to bring home some of the coffee granules from the coffee perculator in work and then add that to the base of my plants, and then add coffee to my spray and douse the aphids with it. If I hear them asking for Latte or an Americano I will give up!!
19/05/2013 at 21:17

this is not a wind up,boil leaves leave to cool

add table  spoon of sugar and dissolve shake well before use

it truly works

27/08/2013 at 08:43
If the aphids are so severe that one has to spray, I find that a teaspoon of Fairy liquid and a teaspoon of sunflower oil (as a sticker) in about a litre of water makes a good organic and harmless spray. Garlic spray also works - I used this on a sudden large infestation of black aphid on my runner beans this year.
27/08/2013 at 11:28

Mmmmm. Not so sure of using rhubarb leaves this way. Just because they are natural doesn't mean they are safe. They contain oxalic acid. You would have to eat a LOT of leaves for it to kill you but making a decoction of them is making the poison more concentrated. Not surprised it kills the aphids and probably anything else good or bad that lands where you have sprayed. Personally I would not like to eat anything sprayed with this. 

10/06/2014 at 16:00
I used a diluted washing up liquid spray on my young apple tree leaves,but now they look like they have died.the trunk of the tree looks ok.is there anything I can do to save the tree?
12/09/2014 at 13:44
Lupin is covered in white fly - is it best to cut right back?
12/09/2014 at 13:46
When do I shape my camellia
email image
21 to 39 of 39 messages