London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 14°C
61 to 80 of 201 messages
26/03/2012 at 19:44

Hi whitevanwoman

Thanks for that, we have had some rain since I posted but I have found that I have a split in my water butt, so I siphend off the water before i lost it all and have reserved it for my blueberry. A new water butt is now in place and I am awaiting another down pour. I am new to the gardeners world forum and am so chuffed that I got an answer, I can see that I am going to make a lot of new gardening friends. Hope you get some rain soon too, best wishes.

30/03/2012 at 09:49
I have two old trees on my site they are covered in a dark green Ivy my neighbour told me to removed the Ivy as it would kill the tree (choke it) is this true
30/03/2012 at 10:04
I have over wintered a Canna Lilly and have new sprouts appearing. They are covered in small, sticky, white spots that rub off easily. Is this harmful and what, if anything, should I do about it?
30/03/2012 at 10:08
30/03/2012 at 11:58

Many thanks for all your questions. I've answered two batches of them now, with more answers being written every fortnight.

You can find the first batch of answers here:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/ask-adam-one/

You can find the second batch of answers here:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/ask-adam-two/

Looking forward to receiving more gardening questions from you all. Please include as much background detail to your question as possible, as this really helps me provide a more informed answer.

30/03/2012 at 12:47
Hi Adam

I seem to have an infestation of caterpillars in my flower and veg garden. I've used the usual sprays from the garden centre, but they seem to come back. Is there anything else I can do, please?
Also I can't seem to control my neighbour's cats using my raised veg beds as their loo. Please help
Thank you
Lucy Sandiford
01/04/2012 at 17:31
Hi Adam, I have just boxed off an area at the back of my garden to grow some vegetables. I am unsure of what sort of topsoil/compost I should put into the boxes. Could you please advise me
01/04/2012 at 20:49
WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH ONE OF MY COMPOST BINS WHICH IS FULL OF WOOD LICE. CAN I JUST CARRY ON TOPPING UP WITH KITCHEN PEELS, GRASS-CUTTINGS, WEEDS (?), LEAVES AND NEWSPAPER. WILL IT AFFECT MY PLANTS WHEN USED LATER? OR SHOULD I DISCARD THE WHOLE LOT TO BE SAFE. THANK YOU.
02/04/2012 at 05:37
Hi Adam, we've set our hearts on a couple of trees we'd like to plant to remember my wife's mum & dad who passed away within weeks of each other. It's the Persian Silk Tree [Albizia julibrissin Summer Chocolate] and Princess Tree [Paulownia tomentosa]. Both are unusual, attractive, but grow to 5m. Could we keep them shorter than this or should we try for ones grown on a dwarf stock? Thanks Paul
02/04/2012 at 19:43

Hi Adam

Last year i bought 1000 double early variety tulips and planted them in November, was very excited to see them coming up sadly 30% of them are budding near ground level. will they shoot up ?

wht did i do wrong ?

whts wrong with them ?

06/04/2012 at 20:08
Hi adam, we have a plot of autumn raspberries[30ftx10ft]large tussocks of grass started last year , have dug out ten leaving 6inch x 1ft holes and the clumps are really heavy.Getting older by the minute any better way to get rid of the remaining 10? [plus others coming up ].We used horse manure 2 yrs ago,if its any clue.Dont like weed killers but may have to, what do you think?They are near the rasps but we do have a lot I suppose[are the rasps all linked up with each other? Thanks deed.
10/04/2012 at 20:40
How do I prune my blackberry and raspberry canes - they've gone native and are
lethal!
13/04/2012 at 14:09
I have a huge old ash tree and what appears to be the startothe leaves are falling off dead
13/04/2012 at 14:15
hello i was just wondering if to cover my palms with fleece aswell as placing them in a plastic greenhouse in the winter.? also do i need to fleece my heathers cos they are in pots? thankyou.
13/04/2012 at 15:05
hi there adam im growing bedding plants this year in my greenhouse from seeds there coming on well . was wondering when to start to feed these plants not to sure geraniums marigolds snapdragons lobelias and some fuchsias from cuttings manythanks adam mr gerard andrews newry n ireland
13/04/2012 at 15:51
Hi Adam can i grow snowdrops from the seed pods that i collected this year and how do i go about it? any help will be handy.
13/04/2012 at 15:59
Hi Adam, my husband listens to gardeners radio programme on Fridays on the way home. Today they spoke of 'granulated sheep's wool' to put around hosta's to protect them from slugs and snails..where do you get such things?
Lesley
13/04/2012 at 17:00
Which climbers would be the best to plant on a south facing fence or trellis.Please
13/04/2012 at 17:30
Hi Adam, the hedge that runs down the side of my garden (approx 100ft long) is very sparse. I think it is mainly old privet covered in thick stemmed ivy. Is it possible to renovate the privet by removing the ivy and hard pruning to thicken it up . I don't want to kill the privet completely.
13/04/2012 at 18:53
My husband bought an Apricot tree online. It began to ooze red resin from every branch and tree, so we dug it up and threw it away in the bin.
We hoped that an established Almond tree next to it would not be affected. But I see this year it does have a couple of small red oozing patches from a couple of side branches. Is there any way we can save this tree. Do I need to cut off the branches or buy a cure. There is tree bark at the base in this area Should we have cleared this away, might it have. spread the disease.The almond tree has been there 5 years, and is very prolific.
Thanks for reading. Janet
61 to 80 of 201 messages