London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
6 messages
10/05/2012 at 22:14
I have two ponds in my back garden and they certainly encourage loads of extra wildlife to the area! I've had seen beautiful dragonfiles, frogs, toads and newts in mine to name but a few, and the attracted bird life is staggering! I've written a short guide to building your own wildlife pond, have a look at - http://animalsunlimited.co.uk/conservation/how-to-build-a-wildlife-pond/ - although I can't pretend my writing is as polished as the articles on this website I can say I try my best!
19/01/2014 at 22:42
What do Newt eggs look like? I get lots of clear jelly like things attached to the back of water lily leaves, anyone know what they could be please?
20/01/2014 at 21:09

That does sound like newt eggs, they lay them singly wrapped in leaves.

20/01/2014 at 21:37
They could possibly be snail eggs.
Newt eggs tend to be laid singly with one black dot in the middle of each blob of jelly. Often the newts will curl the pond leaf around the egg for protection.
Its still a bit early for newt eggs although it has been quite spring-like this winter.
20/01/2014 at 21:41

No newt activity in my pond yet. But mumbrister may not be talking about now.

My first thought was snails as well.

21/01/2014 at 19:55

Snail eggs will be about an inch long tube of clear jelly and as the snails develop these will be visible as lots of dots that get darker and larger until they hatch.  Does this sound like them?

email image
6 messages