London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
21/09/2010 at 14:44
My lawn looked awful during the summer, but has greened-up wonderfully. Think I'll take your advice and give it an autumn feed. How about top dressing? Shouldn't I be doing that now?
21/09/2010 at 17:17
this has nothing to do with grass,but today on my grass there are loads of ,,,well i dont know what they are but they look like frogspawn but without the black tadpole in the middle .... clear small clumps of jelly like balls,they were by my pond.... what could they be... anyone know?????????
21/09/2010 at 17:23
this has nothing to do with grass,but today on my grass there is well i dont know what they are but theses jelly like clear balls like frogspawn but without the black tadpole in the middle,they are by my pond ..... any ideas................
23/09/2010 at 11:47
Greatadvice - thanks. Our lawn also dried up over the summer and although it's come back to life we'll use your advice to maintain it.
23/09/2010 at 14:38
Bee, that sounds like slug eggs or similar, though I've only ever come across them when digging. Do they look like this?: http://www.google.com/images?q=slug+eggs&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1282&bih=903
23/09/2010 at 14:40
In response to bee, the clear balls looking like frogspawn are probably slug or snail eggs!
23/09/2010 at 15:01
i do a lot of gardenes for the old fork got one that is farm land so it is rock hard tride all most every think but can not get it to gro gave tonic food and furterlicer not a good speler hop you got the jis of my quesgen
23/09/2010 at 19:53
I have been unwell lately and was unable to cut the grass, and although it grew long and looked untidy it was green, just went round picking the heads of the weeds so they didn't over run the lawn. so maybe we shouldn't cut in the really hot weather.
23/09/2010 at 20:26
We have chaffer grubs in the boarders will they be in the lawn too?
24/09/2010 at 12:44
Ideally I would like to re-seed my lawn as suggested and to add an Autumn feed. Is it possible to do both, and if so should there be a short delay between the two jobs.
24/09/2010 at 14:20
Would it be too late to re-seed and Autumn feed my lawn the first week in November as that is when I come home on leave after working abroad.
25/09/2010 at 06:22
I have been scarifying Lawn sand is probably what you want there was 5 min clip on GW prog earlier in year from Rhs its what they use.
25/09/2010 at 07:49
I am not an expert, but watched Gardener's World yesterday - and he did both one after the other. See if it's on the iplayer. 'Would it be too late to re-seed and Autumn feed my lawn the first week in November as that is when I come home on leave after working abroad.'
26/09/2010 at 07:44
no it will be ok to reseed this is a good time to do it. as long as it is not to wet to wet may kill seed as for feeding up to the end of the frist week of november again if it is to wet you would lose it would be washed away i would give it a good tonic inwet or dry
26/09/2010 at 16:36
I just put about eight split logs at the end of our flower bed, next to the patio and bird feeding station,. I hope that over time these logs will rot down and bring in all manner of bugs and grubs for the wild birds to feed off. Already there are some forms of toadstools and other types of fungi growing. Am I running the risk of these toadstools/ fungi infesting my lawn, which is very close to this wood pile? Would spores drift onto the lawn?
27/09/2010 at 09:37
Reply to Paul: Fungal spores may land on the lawn from decaying wood fungi, but they wouldn't grow unless they had old wood under the lawn to grow on. Decay is part of the natural cycle, so a great idea building a log pile.
06/10/2010 at 15:55
Thank you for your sound advice Adam. I’m putting some fallen apples that I picked up along a road way placing them amongst the logs to draw the birds in. Still early days yet, but thanks once again.
26/04/2011 at 01:06
Great site. Thanks for the detailed explanation on spring clean-up for the lawn. how often would you recommend over seeding the lawn?
07/07/2011 at 08:10
Autumn is most attention able season for lawn care because in that season leafs fall down and grass come yellow. Pond Leak
28/11/2011 at 18:41
Some good advice on how to care for our lawns. I’ve just scarified my quite small back lawn, and then mixed the grass seed with some potting compost, as suggested. Then I very lightly pulled a bristle broom behind me across the entire lawn just to help settle the grass seed down. A hose set on very fine spray and then I’ll add the autumn feed next weekend.
1 to 20 of 24 messages