London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
18/09/2009 at 19:40
Yum, your recipe makes me feel hungry and I have been eating a half a pound of tomatoes a day for the last three weeks!
18/09/2009 at 19:57
Lovely blog. Lovely blogger. Delicious soup. Well done, Lila!
18/09/2009 at 20:00
Congratulations on the new blog Lila! How exciting! I can relate to that feeling of "having enough". It's one of those things that comes naturally when in the garden. As seasons change you realise certain things have to go and the clear out begins, only to be replaced with the new. I don't think I've ever seen a passata machine? I think I will have to investigate it now. Ryan (Ryan's Garden)
18/09/2009 at 20:01
Must try that recipe! Excellent blog btw! just made our own 'tinned tomato' type recipe,using cider vinegar,water and sugar. Taste lovely but boiling vinegar does stink out the kitchen! Off to google Passata machines!
18/09/2009 at 21:32
mkes me happy oits autumn...now where would one find a passata machine
20/09/2009 at 08:33
Passata sounds great --- tnx for mentioning it, and for the tomato soup recipe!
21/09/2009 at 14:42
I run a soup kitchen once a month so think I'll try the tomato soup recipe this time it sounds great. Also on a different subject, can anyone tell me why some of my cosmos plants have come up 'blind'? Lots of growth but no flowers at all.
22/09/2009 at 11:38
You can buy passata machines from Seeds of Italy (based in Harrow)they are brilliant and so easy to use. I am in the middle of making passata with the tomato glut and also use the lovely passata bottles they sell. Lovely blog Lila, thanks.
23/09/2009 at 16:56
Passata sounds brilliant, but if you don't have the time, just pop the tomatoes in the freezer whole and then remove and defrost to put into receipes. I add to the bag every day.You can remove the skin when they have defrosted a little (just like blanching them really. I make lots of sauces and soups.
23/09/2009 at 19:40
Sounds good Jan.
24/09/2009 at 11:46
Has anyone got any idea what I can do with tomotoes that haven't ripened yet. Being new to gardening I think I may have planted them a little later than I should have. I fear they are going to go to waste given the lack of sunshine at this time of year. Any advice would be more than welcome.
24/09/2009 at 18:50
Passata machines can be bought from Seeds of Italy.... just put it in Google and you'll get the website. Brilliant seeds too as well as brilliant passata machine.
24/09/2009 at 20:16
Lilaji Namaskar, I have read your recipe and am going to try. I am completely novice in this field. I have a patch of about 8feet by four feet. Can you pls advise me how to prepare the soil and what can I plant at this time of the year. I tried to grow some vegetables, but did not succeed excepet cherry tomatoes grew in abundence. Thanks.......|Narender.
24/09/2009 at 22:13
I use green tomatoes to make chutney, delicious!Loads of recipes around for it and you can make chutney in a slow cooker, less smell of the vinegar/chutney then.
26/09/2009 at 08:28
So many tomatoes this year! So far I have made red tomato chutney [Indian recipe] with Fennel seed and chilli. Tomato,roast red pepper and lemon sauces for pasta or cooking chicken and fish. Tomato soup. Grilled tomatoes sprinkled with Oregano. Have just picked last of my crop-still have plenty to use and the last green ones are in a drawer with a ripe banana. Must remember to save some for seeds for next year.
26/09/2009 at 16:23
Hi Pottering-on I have crates of green and semi ripe tomatoes all over the place which will gradually ripen over the next few weeks. If you want some quickly put some in a paper bag (or a drawer as has been mentioned) with a banana which will speed things along, otherwise, just sit back and wait :)
26/09/2009 at 20:42
Bananas great as they give off ethylene gas which helps to ripen tomatoes and other fruit. Re veg patch: home-made compost is the best preparation you can give any soil. If you don't have any, a bit of rotted down manure from the garden centre will help feed the soil. There are lots of late lettuce varieties around suitable for shorter days, try 'Winter Gem'. You can plant spring cabbages too, also Pak Choi. In November try broad beans. A vegetable patch needs more care than a flower garden, regular watering and attention is very important. Good luck.
29/09/2009 at 16:40
We have what we think is eel worm in our soil - we have a small garden. need advice on how to get rid of it/ whether we can plant there again and which crops to plant that won't be affected.we think it was eel worm as our potatos had a huge crop but of v. small nobbly potatoes and leaves went yellow and black.
13/11/2009 at 13:14
I am new to having an allotment. Having had a garden more than a hectare in South Africa, an allotment is a significant downsize. The is just one problem I've encountered which is how to identify the weeds but over the years with a small garden at my terraced home, I've come to suss out that which are "weeds" especially the bind weed and wild grasses. It would be helpful to first time gardeners (especially the likes of myself having lived outside the UK), that there is a online resource of all the weeds, especially those with pictures. Does anyone know of such a website? Wayne, Harlow, Essex
17/11/2009 at 11:44
Wayne, there is no one week book I could recommend to you on weeds, though I would say that Geoff Hamilton's Organic Garden book is superb. It is published by Dorling Kindersley, which always has good photographs. In addition to weeds, there is also a section on useful weeds! The best policy on an allotment is to ask a neighbour - it helps you make a friend and build up your practical experience. Good luck with your UK gardening.
1 to 20 of 21 messages