London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
1 to 20 of 45 messages
21/04/2011 at 15:29
I will be planting "In The Green" lots of lovely tulips. narcissi, fritillaries, pink chionodoxa, etc. brought to me by my friend who has a small garden like you, Kate, but likes to ring the changes in his pots every season. he knows they will have a good home with me. Watering is a top priority as the long, hot, dry spell is threatening the health of a lot of the perennials like primroses, primulas and epimediums I have divided this spring. I am keeping an eye on the potatoes now up and the newly planted leeks and broad bean plants water wise as well. Otherwise it is war on the dandelions and bindweed and gathering great bunches of lily of the valley and anemones for the house now that my beautiful Mother's Day flowers have wilted.
21/04/2011 at 16:39
Hope to get out there at some point this weekend,probably Monday(as from this evening most of the weekend spent in Mass as we're practising Catholics, & friends round for dinner on Sunday), so hoping the weather doesn't break! If I'm not too tired to do anything other than enjoy watching the bees & drinking a glass or 2 of Pimms, have a mini lilac to re-pot & need to sow my runner beans. Plus a couple of euphorbias that need a new home. My little plugs have arrived today for my hanging baskets, so will definately pot them up. And am hoping my hubby will use Monday wisely to make me some window boxes :) Ooo. And I have to finish cutting out my material & machining my cushion covers for my garden chairs. So much to do! Now, where's that Pimms?????
21/04/2011 at 20:43
Have been busy today emptying my compost bins - have changed the soil in greenhouses ready for my tomato plants -the rest to go on veg plots ready for all my plants which I am itching to plant out [but dare not yet in case of frost] I started my runner beans, courgettes and spaghetti squash in pots and they are all well away in greenhouse. I guess I am just going to have to content myself with weeding, tidying up and moving things around
22/04/2011 at 04:36
Kate, you have just reminded me that I am always behind on what I should be doing, but I also have planted up loads of goodies and passed some stuff on to nieghbours and my daughter, heavy clay is my problem as I find it impossible to dig it so along with my home made compost I buy bags and bags of compost.Oh! well better get on with it then or I'll be getting nothing done and yes I will be out there this early in the morning. Keep at it all you gardeners.
22/04/2011 at 07:26
Thought of a couple more jobs to do this weekend. I grow mainly shrubs and perennials[apart from veg] as my garden is small - except for companion plants. Just back from long walk with my dog and have pricked out a tray of marigolds specially for tomatoes. I also have another tray to pot on of nicandra [shoo fly] Then my bright orange honeysuckle has really gone to town so needs some serious attention as it is pulling down its support. I just remembered that my May issue of Gardeners World was delivered yesterday so sometime this weekend when it gets too hot I might sit under the willow tree and read it [along with a glass of chilled white wine]
22/04/2011 at 07:39
Nobody was using the school greenhouse, so I have cleaned,tidied and sown seed since end of march and everything now needs potting on. I can only manage an hour or two every couple of days. The free sunflower and sweet peas are coming on a treat. I need to plant outside but the raised beds have not been tended for about three years and are full of bindweed, bramble and couch grass in clay soil - so i will approach with the no-dig (lasagne) method but i am waiting for it to rain....
22/04/2011 at 09:17
ASs spring is here and the sun shines consistantly for the first times in what seems like years, its so wonderful to see these images and tips. I was so enthused that I started a small blog of my own, hoping to chrionicle the little bit and pieces in my own garden. Dotn know if its right, but I want to share and hope to pick up on other peoples' blogs too? http://thepatchygardener.blogspot.com/ If this seems like spam, please forgive. it's not meant to be.
22/04/2011 at 16:18
Unfortunately, sorting out the broken bench has taken priority. Bit of an eyesore at present.....
22/04/2011 at 18:02
Where to start! I promised myself I wouldn't get so behind this year, but the jobs have crept up quickly and I find myself trying to catch up again. I have lots of planting to do, I need to sweep and clean the patio and step areas, weed, clear out the shed, varnish the bench, uncover and clean the patio furniture, and mow the grass, to name but a few.
22/04/2011 at 20:52
lijemc, youhave drawn up your list. now you need to prioritise. Will the plants deteriorate if not planted till later? Is the dirty patio and step area a dangerous hazard? can you combine weeding and planting i.e. stick to one area and weed and plant that area? Saves retracing your footsteps. Can the cleaning of the patio furniture wait a bit? Would it not be more sensible to clean the shed on a rainy week-end? You see what I mean. use all your common sense on health and safety, time and motion and you'll know instinctively where to start. Or you could say to yourself "Well, it is a holiday I'll start with the things I like doing best." But START!
23/04/2011 at 10:48
Last year for the first time,I grew Nicotiana Mutabilis from seed.I dug some up at the end of the season and over wintered them, they are already in flower and waiting to be planted out in a few weeks. I very much recommend growing this variety of tobacco plant, they are pink and white and beautiful, my new favourite before Sylvestris. Saved seed from last year too and now have loads of babies to sell on our plant stall when we open under the NGS next month!
23/04/2011 at 18:17
Normally I wait until mid-May before sowing my sweetcorn directly outside, but with the hot weather, the soil temp should be fine, so I'll be doing that this BH weekend.
23/04/2011 at 19:42
pond has hundreds of tadpoles for the first time, could anyone tell how long before they become frogs,dont want to clean out pond befor they leave
24/04/2011 at 15:09
HELLO, In june i will be moving to first ever home witha back yard!! yipee..we have no grass and were maybe thinking of putting just a little down for the guinea pigs! anyway i havent aclue where to start? i know very little about gardening, we have a small patio which i would like to change to decking but im worried as i was told they attract rats! we will be getting very little sun during day which plants are best? i would like it too look pretty but low maintance..any advice would be great?? thank you :)
24/04/2011 at 20:23
I have been working like a trouper this weekend - planting new seeds, potting up, transplanting. My main problem is space - where to put everything. The greenhouse is full to bursting. It is the same every year, I swear I won't plant so much stuff, but just can't resist.
24/04/2011 at 20:36
happymarion, thanks for the sensible advice. I have made a start and did start with what I like doing best and that is planting.
25/04/2011 at 08:19
I have a 25 year old wisteria which flowers profusely every year (just in bud/part flower now). It is growing up the side of the garage and over an arbour my husband built. However, there is now lots of dead wood and bird's nests and all the new growth is on the top of the dead wood. The arbour is starting to bend with the weight and some of the wisteria has also got under the garage roof. I think some drastic action needs to be taken but I would not like to lose the wisteria. How far back can I cut it this autumn? Thank you.
25/04/2011 at 10:07
Well done, lijemc. A job well begun is a job half done! gardeninglily - You can cut it back to an inch of its life and it will spring back to its former glory. I have seen such a one that was invading a house cut down to about two feet and now it is flourishing. Even very old wisterias like the ones just cut right down and dug out from an ancient pergola in the early spring in the Bristol Botanic Garden, will survive if kept well watered in their first year.
25/04/2011 at 11:45
Ive been in the garden nearly all weekend, Ive potted on all the new fuchsia's ive got and my Tomato plants and Ive put some trailing Fuchsias into my hanging baskets which are now sitting in greenhouse. Done a lot of weeding in the front garden too. Its really nice to be on top of all the jobs and that is only thanks to the lovely weather we have had (drop of rain would be nice though).
25/04/2011 at 14:29
Have had a busy weekend, Went to barbecue, Went shopping(should have stayed at home too many people) Ive had to put out my dwarf french beans as the roots were coming out of the bottom of the pots but will keep a closh close in case of cooler nights,cut my tulips heads off, but best thing of all have found a bees nest in the ground in the garden i think they are Masonry bees they are a bit too near the house so have put up a screen so they can only go in one way as i have small Grandchildren.
1 to 20 of 45 messages